BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Fading Trims

I’ve experienced the well-documented fading side vents issue, and had those replaced under warranty when the car was 2 years old, but has anyone had the plastic trims around the doors fade as well? Mine are now looking decidedly blue & milky in places, as are the corners of the tailgate spoiler.

Looks nasty against the Sophisto Grey paint.

I’m pretty particular about washing & detailing the car, so have never used harsh cleaning products, and I don’t exactly live in a hot sunny climate. UV fade this noticeable on a £60K vehicle that’s not even 4 years old is bluntly unacceptable.

I have the full extended warranty from BMW but AFAIK this isn’t covered as it’s deemed “cosmetic”

Has anyone experienced the same, and more importantly have BMW replaced faded parts under warranty after 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #2
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I just had the black tailgate plastic replaced under warranty a few months ago. Was starting to lighten into a cloudy, hazy dark blue.

They must know it's an issue. It's been all over the forums for years, and I had zero resistance from the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Interestingly enough (on a similar note)... I washed the M40i last weekend and noticed that the PASSENGER side exhaust tip was still "cloudy" even after I'd ran the soapy sponge over/on it. Went back for a second go around thinking I had somehow missed washing it, and yet it still stayed "cloudy"... like the finish had suddenly been worn (off) or gone bad. I was so confused (and pissed). So after I finished drying the car, I grabbed my Griots Perfecting Cream (basically a final step polish) and hit it with a hand polishing pad... did a quick layer, and buffed off, seemed to be working. So I did a second coat, but more of a full job this time, buffed it off, and the shine seemed to come back. I didn't have time to keep messing with it, so I stopped there.

I just went out to look at it tonight (because of this thread) and it seems to be staying "polished"/shiny. But I have zero clue what caused it... so now I'm on the watch for it.

When I messed up the finish on one of my Macan GTS black-chromed tips... I was looking at like $600 bucks to buy some new ones... so you can imagine I was immediately thinking "oh hell no - warranty on this!!" But alas, the M40i tips aren't quite as expensive, not to mention, the polish seems to be working just fine to restore the finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 03:08 AM   #4
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
I’ve experienced the well-documented fading side vents issue, and had those replaced under warranty when the car was 2 years old, but has anyone had the plastic trims around the doors fade as well? Mine are now looking decidedly blue & milky in places, as are the corners of the tailgate spoiler.

Looks nasty against the Sophisto Grey paint.

I’m pretty particular about washing & detailing the car, so have never used harsh cleaning products, and I don’t exactly live in a hot sunny climate. UV fade this noticeable on a £60K vehicle that’s not even 4 years old is bluntly unacceptable.

I have the full extended warranty from BMW but AFAIK this isn’t covered as it’s deemed “cosmetic”

Has anyone experienced the same, and more importantly have BMW replaced faded parts under warranty after 3 years?
I noticed the side vents on mine fading recently. Popped them off with a plastic trim tool and used my wife’s hair dryer on them, took about 10 and they now look good as new. Honestly didn’t want to have to go through the dealer as their service department is worse than useless. Have noticed a wee bit of fading starting on the rear spoiler and am monitoring this. I totally agree that this is completely unacceptable but think it is just the way things are nowadays . My car has turned two this month so if any other parts start to fade it will be going to the dealer before the warranty expires.
Appreciate 1
330DW35.50
      09-19-2023, 05:05 AM   #5
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D69GMB View Post
I noticed the side vents on mine fading recently. Popped them off with a plastic trim tool and used my wife’s hair dryer on them, took about 10 and they now look good as new. Honestly didn’t want to have to go through the dealer as their service department is worse than useless. Have noticed a wee bit of fading starting on the rear spoiler and am monitoring this. I totally agree that this is completely unacceptable but think it is just the way things are nowadays . My car has turned two this month so if any other parts start to fade it will be going to the dealer before the warranty expires.
That's an interesting one - didn't think heat would be a factor. Presumably it must effectively 'reset' the plastic layer on the moulding. Wonder why heat of the sun doesn't have the same effect? Maybe the UV component.

Might give it a go in situ (don't have a trim tool... yet) and see if it works. Neighbours will think I've lost what remains of my marbles

I had my side vents replaced with no quibble through Arnold Clark in Giffnock, at round about the same age as yours. Presume you use the Irvine franchise? It seems to take about 2 years for the side vents to go, only started noticing the tailgate spoiler & now window trims more recently so must be a 3-4 year degradation cycle for those.
Appreciate 1
D69GMB474.50
      09-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
That's an interesting one - didn't think heat would be a factor. Presumably it must effectively 'reset' the plastic layer on the moulding. Wonder why heat of the sun doesn't have the same effect? Maybe the UV component.

Might give it a go in situ (don't have a trim tool... yet) and see if it works. Neighbours will think I've lost what remains of my marbles

I had my side vents replaced with no quibble through Arnold Clark in Giffnock, at round about the same age as yours. Presume you use the Irvine franchise? It seems to take about 2 years for the side vents to go, only started noticing the tailgate spoiler & now window trims more recently so must be a 3-4 year degradation cycle for those.
Yes the Irvine service centre and I definitely don’t see eye to eye on what I think is an acceptable level of service, unfortunately I don’t have many options but to use them.
Was very dubious as to using the hairdryer but they have came up as good as new. Have applied a wee bit of ceramic wax to them to see if this prolongs their life.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 12:33 PM   #7
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Popped them off with a plastic trim tool and used my wife’s hair dryer on them, took about 10 and they now look good as new. .
What exactly does the hairdryer do to restore the finish?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
What exactly does the hairdryer do to restore the finish?
Not sure on the exact science, think it has something to do with reviving the oils in item thus rejuvenating the colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #9
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Not sure on the exact science, think it has something to do with reviving the oils in item thus rejuvenating the colour.
Too bad you didn't take before and after pics. Now I'm really curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #10
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Too bad you didn't take before and after pics. Now I'm really curious.
It sounded too good to be true, so I had to try it for myself and here's the proof it actually works.

Before first, then during, then after - there were a couple of patches that were more stubborn than others, and I was just using a crappy old hairdryer so probably not that even a temp.

It started raining before I could get finished, but you can see how effective it is after around 10 minutes. I wonder if taking the thing off and gently cooking in a fan oven at its lowest setting would give a more even effect? I'm guessing a heat gun at its coolest would be too harsh...

Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Lady Jane72274.50
Keefy1655.50
avi662798.50
D69GMB474.50
330DW35.50
jsh1391722.00
Alias1431799.50
      09-20-2023, 11:26 AM   #11
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
It sounded too good to be true, so I had to try it for myself and here's the proof it actually works.

Before first, then during, then after - there were a couple of patches that were more stubborn than others, and I was just using a crappy old hairdryer so probably not that even a temp.

It started raining before I could get finished, but you can see how effective it is after around 10 minutes. I wonder if taking the thing off and gently cooking in a fan oven at its lowest setting would give a more even effect? I'm guessing a heat gun at its coolest would be too harsh...

I wasn’t brave enough to try doing it with them in situ. They pop out very easy with a wee plastic trim removal tool. Glad you gave it a try. Probably worth trying the other parts but I would definitely mask the paint just in case.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
330DW
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30D

This is epic! Thanks for putting up the solution and best of all some pics of it doing the job.
Mine are looking a bit too milky and never found a solution to it on here other than wrapping them in black or replacing.
I've seen videos online of people doing the same with faded stadium seats and a blowtorch to restore the colour but not had the confidence to try taking a trim off and warm it up!
Will be giving this a go on the weekend
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Once done, I’d be getting some UV protection on them parts.
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 3
Alias1431799.50
330DW35.50
      09-20-2023, 09:37 PM   #14
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Think i've seen one on YT a while back, not entirely sure if that was a bmw or a different make. Heat gun / hair dryer def works.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 03:22 AM   #15
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Once done, I’d be getting some UV protection on them parts.
Yeah, I'd love to know how long it actually lasts. I'm guessing even less time. Can't beat the price, though.
Appreciate 2
Keefy1655.50
      10-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #16
mysnoopy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2020

As I mentioned and confirmed in another discussion, the heat gun will bring the black color back. You don't need to pop it out.
Appreciate 0