BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Seat bottom and seat belt chime warranty

While driving at city speeds, Driver seatbelt holder warning would start chiming for a few seconds to a couple minutes though the seatbelt is plugged in. I find no way of turning it off except unplugging my seatbelt, waiting for the chime to stop, then plugging it back in. Dealer cannot replicate the issue despite multiple videos

The Syntex on the left side bottom bolster of the driver seat is wrinkling and not the same as the passenger side after use. It almost feels the left side is collapsinf

Are these covered under factory warranty?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40D

Have ventilated seats, I had side bolster replaced due it collapsing whilst in warranty. It was as though getting in and out of the car had crushed it. A few years later now and new part still ok. Not fair wear and tear.

It is normal for the dealers to want to replicate issues prior to fixing, shame that they won’t accept your videos given they can’t replicate the issue. I would have thought they would have been very interested given it’s connected to a safety system…
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SORA MONKEY View Post
Have ventilated seats, I had side bolster replaced due it collapsing whilst in warranty. It was as though getting in and out of the car had crushed it. A few years later now and new part still ok. Not fair wear and tear.

It is normal for the dealers to want to replicate issues prior to fixing, shame that they won’t accept your videos given they can’t replicate the issue. I would have thought they would have been very interested given it’s connected to a safety system…
Its almost impossible to replicate the seat belt issue unless you're just driving around and i did not want them wasting the gas and miles. How much you reckon it will cost the warranty to replace the seat belt holder? Its an isolated part no?

Two syntex seat pictures:
This is the driver seat left side, wrinkled and a little flatter, even after cleaning.

This is the passenger seat right side. Perfectly like new.

Also, do you know if these G01 ACC bracket parts numbers are for the LCI or not LCI X3?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:41 AM   #4
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes that’s the side bolster I had replaced. The dealer messed the replacement up leaving bits hanging off but after some obvious conversation it was fixed properly.

Whilst in warranty leave all to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #5
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes that’s the side bolster I had replaced. The dealer messed the replacement up leaving bits hanging off but after some obvious conversation it was fixed properly.

Which dealer did you go to? Not all dealers are equal nice
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

How would they replace that without replacing the entire leather? Do they have to uninstall the seat, replace the bolster?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i, 2003 330i ZHP

Garage List
2003 330i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 30i xDrive  [10.00]
On a safety item, and with video evidence, they 100% should be more helpful on that seatbelt issue. I’d keep pushing it.

rant It feels lately like dealerships are getting kickbacks for the number of warranty repairs they can deny or push off. The number of times I’m told “that’s normal” or “we can’t duplicate that” is almost comical./rant

As for the seat, that doesn’t look normal either. Hope they don’t claim it’s wear or that they won’t cover cosmetic issues.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
On a safety item, and with video evidence, they 100% should be more helpful on that seatbelt issue. I’d keep pushing it.

rant It feels lately like dealerships are getting kickbacks for the number of warranty repairs they can deny or push off. The number of times I’m told “that’s normal” or “we can’t duplicate that” is almost comical./rant

As for the seat, that doesn’t look normal either. Hope they don’t claim it’s wear or that they won’t cover cosmetic issues.
Should I email BMW corporate with the video and photos? How are the dealers in South Carolina? The ones here in Virginia suck, that's why I bought and service my vehicle outside of Virginia.

Are the side bolsters separate component that can be replaced from under the syntex?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepianist1 View Post
How would they replace that without replacing the entire leather? Do they have to uninstall the seat, replace the bolster?
It’s not a big job it all comes apart, I also had the actual seat panel replaced at the same time as that felt crushed. I don’t think they had to strip the seat much at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 04:01 PM   #10
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s not a big job it all comes apart, I also had the actual seat panel replaced at the same time as that felt crushed. I don’t think they had to strip the seat much at all.
Thanks, hopefully I can press another dealer to get these two issues sorted out, currently at 23k miles.

What about bits of the dark grey plastic trim chipped 1 cm long in several places? Dealer is calling it damage from use since I don't recall if it was from the accident or not and the only way is to replace it. I was thinking of just filling it with plastic putty then paint it over. Do you know the color code of the dark grey plastic trim or good weather resistent plastic putty?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:11 PM   #11
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

No sorry, for trim pieces can you not approach the part dept with a photo or they would even come and look at the car, get the part number and a quote from them. Use that as you will.

Some databases exist of parts online also such as https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #12
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is the dealer stance:

"Please remove all items from the passenger seat and see if the alert continues.

Regarding your seat leather, see attached photo from BMW. Their stance is it’s due to improper care and is not eligible for warranty."

The seat bolster syntex is not worn nor cracking, is it? Isn't it just wrinkly because the seat side is collapsing from not supporting my body weight (170 pounds)? How does the dealer dictate if I had "improper care" when I am not obese and I just sit in the driver seat like a normal person and there are no cuts or scratches or other physical damage to the seat?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't BMW syntex much more resistant to cracking because it is not real leather? Dealer used the word "leather" instead of "syntex" I'm wondering if he thinks I got the optional Cognac Merino leather instead of the Cognac Syntex...

Please see the video of the seatbelt warning. Unless both seats use the same warning, isn't the error in the video is the driver seatbelt warning going off, not the passenger seat belt warning? Even if the laptop and jacket were triggering the seat belt chime, I've put much heavier items in the passenger seat before that did not set off the seatbelt warning, so in either case, one of the seat belt warnings has issues (warning when the seat belt is already plugged in, and not warning when something is there and seat belt is not plugged in).

In other words, if the issue is something is present in the passenger seat belt as dealer said, and then the passenger seat belt warning is that sensitive, then the warning is inconsistent because I have put much heavier items in the passenger seat without buckling in the seat belt that has not set off the warning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTN...usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oOe...usp=drive_link
Attached Images

Last edited by thepianist1; 09-26-2023 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #13
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please see my reply above and dealer stance. Which dealer did you go to that was this nice to replace the bolsters? How many miles did you have when you get it fixed because right now I only owned this vehicle for 1 year, so I feel the later I wait, the less likely dealer will honor.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:11 AM   #14
SORA MONKEY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi my leather is real, standard in the uk. It was around a year I think, the issue for me was the crushed nature of the padding. The dealer did not bat an eyelid, ultimately I can’t not care for the hidden padding so it was a no brainer. In the uk the next move other than other dealer would be Bmw uk. Ultimately you have having to prove a manufacturing defect so it quite difficult on material surface abrasion. Squashed padding is more straightforward.

Eliminate the passenger seat weight and go back for the chime.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 08:39 AM   #15
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi my leather is real, standard in the uk. It was around a year I think, the issue for me was the crushed nature of the padding. The dealer did not bat an eyelid, ultimately I can’t not care for the hidden padding so it was a no brainer. In the uk the next move other than other dealer would be Bmw uk. Ultimately you have having to prove a manufacturing defect so it quite difficult on material surface abrasion. Squashed padding is more straightforward.

Eliminate the passenger seat weight and go back for the chime.

Chime is still there. The chime is driver side. Empty passenger seat has chime. I also added back heavier suitcase to passenger side no chime. Its not that sensitive

I attached photo from the top. Side of seat is bulging out and wrinkled slightly. Not worn or cracked
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #16
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i, 2003 330i ZHP

Garage List
2003 330i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 30i xDrive  [10.00]
You need to go back and demand that they look at it again. If it’s not the passenger seat and you know it’s coming from driver seat, their excuse is just stupid.

Your seat bottom looks like it’s very stretched or loose. Mine is 1+ years old and is taut and looks exactly like it did when I got it. I’m not sure that your dealer will play ball on this one. It’s going to be hard to prove it’s defective and not worn from this angle. The previous picture looked more like a defect.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #17
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You need to go back and demand that they look at it again. If it’s not the passenger seat and you know it’s coming from driver seat, their excuse is just stupid.

Your seat bottom looks like it’s very stretched or loose. Mine is 1+ years old and is taut and looks exactly like it did when I got it. I’m not sure that your dealer will play ball on this one. It’s going to be hard to prove it’s defective and not worn from this angle. The previous picture looked more like a defect.
Ill try to use a heat blower or iron and a damp cloth to try to smooth out the wrinkles. Not sure if it will help since this isnt real leather

Last edited by thepianist1; 09-28-2023 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0