BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #1
iX3 Richard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Jerky slow speed manoeuvring

Hi

We've just picked up our iX3 and loving it except for trying to get it in our garage. We've a slight slope up to the garage which I think is making it worse.

So with a manual box it's easy to balance the clutch and accelerator and crawl in. Often a car with an auto box wants to crawl forwards so it's a matter of easing the brake pedal to control that.

The iX3 jerks on starting and then picks up too much speed. It's terrifying trying to get into a single garage door so we've not been able to use the garage. Is it possible to get it to crawl forward really slowly?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 11:41 PM   #2
handymanuk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

It is more difficult to creep but use B mode and it will help with the feeling of it running away from you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:20 AM   #3
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

I´ve never used B mode - can´t see the benefits

In your case, is Auto Hold switched on or off? The behaviour sounds a bit like it´s switched on; try turning it off.
      06-13-2023, 02:24 AM   #4
britaliano
Rep

I usually give the accelerator a little ‘tap’ which seems to help the car understand you want to move.

Then really, really gentle and gradual pressure moves the car nice and slowly.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
iX3 Richard
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the tips, it'll help our learning curve.

The other thing is that the brakes make creaking noise when they release as we pull away. It's like the sound you get when you have new pads or the car has been standing for a few weeks while you've been on holiday. The car has 8k miles so it's not a new brake pad issue!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 04:22 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 Richard View Post
Hi

We've just picked up our iX3 and loving it except for trying to get it in our garage. We've a slight slope up to the garage which I think is making it worse.

So with a manual box it's easy to balance the clutch and accelerator and crawl in. Often a car with an auto box wants to crawl forwards so it's a matter of easing the brake pedal to control that.

The iX3 jerks on starting and then picks up too much speed. It's terrifying trying to get into a single garage door so we've not been able to use the garage. Is it possible to get it to crawl forward really slowly?
As others have mentioned, it could be the auto handbrake. I love that most of the time, but it can me a pain when parallel parking, etc.

I would turn off the auto handbrake while still moving as I approach the garage. That way it won't engage if you stop. Then in D mode the vehicle should crawl like an automatic car, which you can control with the brake pedal.

I think there is an option in one of the menus to turn on and off the auto collision avoidance feature. You may need to do this to get past the wall either side of the single garage door. I have a lamppost at the end of my drive that I have to reverse very close to. Every now and then the car takes issue with my proximity to the lamppost and slams on the brakes. I haven't hit it in 23 years, but the car still doubts me!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 08:14 AM   #7
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

As others have said the Auto Handbrake is not helpful in slow speed manoeuvring. I always turn it off in those situations, otherwise it is very jerky and requires you to press the accelerator for the brakes to release, and then you stop and the process repeats

The brake creaking noise seems to be a common 'feature'. Mine has done it since day one. I've given up worrying about it now!

Last edited by hollpe; 06-13-2023 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1