BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

OBT adapter for BCode, setting up front camera and low speed auto braking?

Hi all,

1) Which OBT adapters do you guys recommend for Bimmercode for cheap? The settings I want to configure in Bimmercode are:

https://bimmercode.app/cars/g01/
- Increase PDC deactivation distance/speed, I want PDC to stay on while I drive around in a parking lot
- Lower Lane Departure/Steering assist activation speed to 35 mph

After configuring these settings once, will they reset to factory settings after a while or after servicing at the dealer?

2) Has anyone configured having the car automatically brake at low speeds when parking distance is in red territory or rear cross traffic alerted? Since the car already has auto braking at 10 mph or higher speeds standard, shouldn't auto braking at 5 mph or lower also be standard and easily configurable?

3) Does anyone recommend products for fixing scratches on leatherette steering wheel/soft touch plastic panels? Some form of black/grey liquid goo that can fill in the scratch, sanded down then harden to a similar texture? I see a bunch of products from Advanced Auto Parts but I don't know how reliable they are with any bad side effects.

4) Has anyone successfully installed a forward facing camera and/or surround parking sensors for the sides through BimmerTech? $599 seems very expensive but the only good thing is the HD resolution will be displayed on the built in 12.3" central display https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...amera-retrofit. I don't want a 3D or 360 surround camera, just a forward camera ideally with for tricking driving and parking situations

5) Right now for Geico auto insurance I pay about $560/6 months in the state of Virginia, age 26, with clean driving record. I have the legally minimum required coverage in my state 30/60/20. Is there any negotiation room to lower the rate?
Appreciate 1
glennbk646.00
      03-01-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08NFLL3NT

Got it onsale for $53.99. Keep your eyes peeled

If you get a system update, I think it might put everything back to Factory. Someone else may know better...

2- there is some safety stuff dealing with the headlights, locks and I think the PDC. I left it all alone because I would mess something up. Just my luck.

3- Go to Youtube and look up LegitStreetCars. He's a former Mercedes mechanic. I think he showed some good products for leather and gave step by step on using it. Again with my luck, I'd sand a hole right through the steering wheel.

4- there is a way to capture 20 seconds through the BMW camera systems on the car. But, that's it. I chose to get a dash cam.

5- negotiation is always possible. You are above 25, so your rates came down. If you are married and have kids, it goes down again. Try using the Insurance rate calculator on each insurance you are considering. If you get some good comps, go back to Geico and politely ask for a match. The actuaries almost always give the managers the bare bones prices that they must maintain to be profitable. That's the number you are looking for.

Have you made contact with your local SCCA Chapter? Or even a member here on the site? You might be able to use another person's OBD until sale comes around?

Last edited by glennbk; 03-01-2023 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:39 PM   #3
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

2) Yea I would prefer to find a Bimmercode expert to show me , maybe by going to SCCA

3) My luck too. I am looking for someone to try to repair it, of course its small fix

4) Actually I was trying to get a forward camera for parking. I didn't know BMW has a 20 second built in dash cam, is that the one that recognizes sign markings and lane keep?

5) OK I will try to ask Geico to lower their rates too if I can find a better rate elsewhere.
I never been to a SCCA or BMW meetup. It would be nice to attend one in my area (DC/VA/MD), I can meet like minded BMW enthusiasts who may have better advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:43 PM   #4
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:46 PM   #5
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #6
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep

2) Bimmercode is relatively easy. They have a lot of information on the site. https://bimmercode.app/manual/

3)

4) Yes. I just am not a fan of it. Prefer a dedicated dash camera. Bought a Viofo 4K and had installed at BestBuy. Had rebate coupons, so the install was free (charge $79 for an entire install...front and back).

5) Check with a few providers online first. Then, you'll have a better idea on what to ask for.

SCCA has events throughout the year. There is a Chapter by you. https://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits-preview
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:39 AM   #7
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Man I wish my X3 came with this. I believe surround view monitor is required for app 3D remote view, so I would either have to pay $1k+ to install an aftermarket 3D surround view system but won't be compatible with drive recorder
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 01:11 AM   #8
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Actually this is the feature I was asking for if it can be installed aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 02:11 AM   #9
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep

Drive recorder can be bought directly on MyBMW. But, it just seemed pointless. 20 seconds isn't a lot compared to a dash cam. With that, all the data is available on an sd card which can be accessed in a few seconds. The cam can also be setup to keep recording once you've left the car, protecting video when motion is detected or when the car is bumped.
Appreciate 0