BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3

Cruise Control

So I’m afraid I have made an incorrect assumption with the X3 xDrive30i I ordered last week. I read through all the standard features of the car before ordering and one is listed as “Dynamic Cruise Control.” Having had my last two vehicles, which both cost significantly less, come with cruise control which adjusts based on the speed of vehicles ahead, and my understanding that the word “dynamic” means constantly changing, I assumed that the X3 would have a cruise control which will automatically change speeds to maintain distance. I fully optioned the build with the premium package, parking assistant package, head up display along with others. After downloading a sample owners manual, there is no reference to the cruise control adjusting speeds. This car has 360 degree cameras as well as front and rear radar sensors. How can it not have a cruise control that adjusts for other vehicle speeds, but it is supposed to be able to park itself? Am I correct in what I am seeing that there is not even an option for a self adjusting cruise control in the xDrive30i?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 03:07 PM   #2
lex97h
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK View Post
So I’m afraid I have made an incorrect assumption with the X3 xDrive30i I ordered last week. I read through all the standard features of the car before ordering and one is listed as “Dynamic Cruise Control.” Having had my last two vehicles, which both cost significantly less, come with cruise control which adjusts based on the speed of vehicles ahead, and my understanding that the word “dynamic” means constantly changing, I assumed that the X3 would have a cruise control which will automatically change speeds to maintain distance. I fully optioned the build with the premium package, parking assistant package, head up display along with others. After downloading a sample owners manual, there is no reference to the cruise control adjusting speeds. This car has 360 degree cameras as well as front and rear radar sensors. How can it not have a cruise control that adjusts for other vehicle speeds, but it is supposed to be able to park itself? Am I correct in what I am seeing that there is not even an option for a self adjusting cruise control in the xDrive30i?
Dynamic means non adjusting. Adaptive is adjusting. So to have the adaptive cruise control, you need to have the Driver assist Pro package which is not available on the lower trim X3 unfortunately.
Appreciate 2
KrisK52.50
      01-29-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex97h View Post
Dynamic means non adjusting. Adaptive is adjusting. So to have the adaptive cruise control, you need to have the Driver assist Pro package which is not available on the lower trim X3 unfortunately.
Unfortunately, that is what I found upon further investigation. Even though a search of “dynamic cruise control” indicates as a general term (not BMW’s proprietary terms) it is interchangeable with active cruise control or any of the other terms manufacturers use for the adaptive cruise control function. The term dynamic means constantly changing; how can BMW call plain old cruise control “dynamic”?

I’ll admit this is very frustrating, to have a $58,000 MSRP car that doesnt even have the option for an adaptive cruise control. This is my wife’s car, and I didn’t want to get the M40 because the reviews indicated the ride was more firm that the standard X3.

I guess I’ll have to see how important the adaptive cruise is to my wife, and we may end up forfeiting the deposit on our order. Very frustrating…
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Adaptive cruise control comes with Driver Assistance Pro for $1,700 and for the last few model years has only been available on the m40.

When I was considering BMW my MB friend joked that you need to buy AM radio, he wasn’t far from the truth.

There is all sorts of discussions on why BMW had to do what they needed to do but they aren’t the biggest automotive manufacture and if they didn’t properly plan for the chip and other supply chain shortages it takes so long to recover.
Appreciate 1
KrisK52.50
      01-29-2023, 03:27 PM   #5
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [9.75]
BMW has used the term dynamic cruise control for decades. It refers to using the brakes of the car to slow down on downhills.

https://getjerry.com/questions/what-...cruise-control
Appreciate 1
KrisK52.50
      01-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippco View Post
Adaptive cruise control comes with Driver Assistance Pro for $1,700 and for the last few model years has only been available on the m40.

When I was considering BMW my MB friend joked that you need to buy AM radio, he wasn’t far from the truth.

There is all sorts of discussions on why BMW had to do what they needed to do but they aren’t the biggest automotive manufacture and if they didn’t properly plan for the chip and other supply chain shortages it takes so long to recover.
I get it. How can you option a car with 360 degree cameras, front and rear radar, can park itself, and it can’t automatically slow down with cruise control engaged when approaching a vehicle traveling slower?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
BMW has used the term dynamic cruise control for decades. It refers to using the brakes of the car to slow down on downhills.

https://getjerry.com/questions/what-...cruise-control
I see that now. If I had even for one second thought it could be possible to not have adaptive cruise control I would have done more research. I’m just baffled at the moment.

Not that Wikipedia is the authoritative source for anything, but the first paragraph discussing adaptive cruise control ends with “This is also known as Dynamic cruise control.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisK View Post
I get it. How can you option a car with 360 degree cameras, front and rear radar, can park itself, and it can’t automatically slow down with cruise control engaged when approaching a vehicle traveling slower?
The front radar mounted in the centre of the lower grille and is only available with Driving Assistant Prof. No DAP, no radar.

Why didn’t you ask the BMW dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:47 PM   #9
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
The front radar mounted in the centre of the lower grille and is only available with Driving Assistant Prof. No DAP, no radar.

Why didn’t you ask the BMW dealer ?
The manual says it has front sensors that detect approaching traffic. I assumed this to be radar, but perhaps it is some other technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 04:00 PM   #10
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, fortunately my wife said she dislikes adaptive cruise control, so it ends up not being a big deal. I like the adaptive cruise control in her current car, so for me it may have been a deal breaker, but for her it’s not. Anyway, lesson learned for the future on using manufacturer’s terms to make assumptions on what something does. Thanks for everyone who gave feedback.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

If you think there’s any chance at all that you’d want adaptive cruise just back out of the order. It was an absolute must-have feature for me. BMW’s implementation is very good in my opinion. You also get lane centering and assisted lane changes (just use the turn signal and it executes the lane change for you). And then there’s also traffic jam mode, which lets you keep your hands off the wheel and not have manually re-accelerate, when going under 40mph. DAPP is a nice package.
Appreciate 1
KrisK52.50
      01-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #12
KrisK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
If you think there’s any chance at all that you’d want adaptive cruise just back out of the order. It was an absolute must-have feature for me. BMW’s implementation is very good in my opinion. You also get lane centering and assisted lane changes (just use the turn signal and it executes the lane change for you). And then there’s also traffic jam mode, which lets you keep your hands off the wheel and not have manually re-accelerate, when going under 40mph. DAPP is a nice package.
Thanks for the feedback. If it was going to be my car, I would absolutely back out of the deal for it not having adaptive cruise control. Lane centering and assisted lane change I’m not sure I’d really care about. However, since it’s my wife’s car and she doesn’t like any of those functions, I’m fine keeping the order as is.
Appreciate 0