BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2022, 02:49 AM   #1
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Functionality of laser headlights

Hi, recently got my ix3 with the optional laser/led lights. They look good. But I'm wondering what I can expect from the adaptive cornering lights.
Auto High Beam works great. As expected. Auto on when needed and other drivers are cut out of the pattern. Also, when cornering with high beam on, I notice them following the road and steering input.

Question is about regular head lights. In my previous 5(G31) and 3(G20), the normal head lights did follow my steering input. On the 3er, it did also follow the road on itself. This was very good to see as the pattern of the lights would shift from left to right, lighting the road in the corners very well.
Now with the iX3, I do not notice this shifting of the lights. According to some info, this is due to the fact that the laser lights on this car are the new Hela full matrix lights which to not physically turn left to right.
All nice. I think the road in the corners is still lighted. But what do they do? Would like to know how they work
      12-19-2022, 03:09 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Hi, recently got my ix3 with the optional laser/led lights. They look good. But I'm wondering what I can expect from the adaptive cornering lights.
Auto High Beam works great. As expected. Auto on when needed and other drivers are cut out of the pattern. Also, when cornering with high beam on, I notice them following the road and steering input.

Question is about regular head lights. In my previous 5(G31) and 3(G20), the normal head lights did follow my steering input. On the 3er, it did also follow the road on itself. This was very good to see as the pattern of the lights would shift from left to right, lighting the road in the corners very well.
Now with the iX3, I do not notice this shifting of the lights. According to some info, this is due to the fact that the laser lights on this car are the new Hela full matrix lights which to not physically turn left to right.
All nice. I think the road in the corners is still lighted. But what do they do? Would like to know how they work

Traditionally “adaptive” was used to describe how the headlight beam pattern changed due to conditions such as speed, street lightning, weather, bends etc. Hence, the beam pattern would adapt differently travelling at 70mph on a motorway, compared to 30mph on an urban street, or the beam could swivel in the direction of steering (see examples below). Several years ago this was expanded to include auto high beam using an electro mechanical swivel system to direct the high beam to the the sides to avoid dazzling other road users.

The latest headlight tech employs matrix LED to avoid moving parts such as a mechanical swivel mechanism (often associated with visible light shift when turning the wheel), used in pre LCI X3, which provides greater control over the beam spread and anti dazzle always on high beam masking (See example video).

Over a decade ago BMW developed a laser light source and published material at the time indicating that this was superior to matrix LED. Technology has moved on with the likes of VW group and others leading the field in matrix headlight tech usage. Whilst BMW still offers an optional additional laser light source that is active over a certain speed, it doesn't offer much consumer benefit/value IMO.

Matrix LED

Old school Electro Mechanical swivel tech

https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/T...adlights-663/#

Traditional adaptive beam patterns
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 12-19-2022 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 04:02 AM   #3
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Tnx avi66 . Great explain. The laser part was clear already but the matrix part was still a bit vague based on other posts.
So it's correct that I do not see the pattern moving left to right. Is there anything I can notice while driving?
      12-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Tnx avi66 . Great explain. The laser part was clear already but the matrix part was still a bit vague based on other posts.
So it's correct that I do not see the pattern moving left to right. Is there anything I can notice while driving?
Because of the ability to control beam width I don’t see any reason the beam will move left or right like the old system. The headlights are fitted with low speed manoeuvring lights that project to the sides when turning the wheel at lower speeds.

For me, probably the most noticeable thing is the always on high beam masking. It’s like magic how on full beam traffic is masked, and it’s like a black shadow box is being projected around cars. Seeing it in action never gets old, especially if it’s a little misty lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Tnx again!

The dancing was kind of cool and always visible. The black box is too!