BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #1
pogonific
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30 Xdrive

F25 Battery Removal

Hi,
My father passed away and I have inherited a 2011 X3. (a diesel 3.0 Xdrive)

For a bunch of complicated reasons it's going to take a couple of months to sort out the paperwork and get it to a road legal state again.

The car will need to be on the street for that time and there is no way I can connect a charger to it.

I'd like to remove the battery and have it on a charger at home and then install it back again when the paperwork is done to stop the car from killing it.

I've read lots of mentions of having to register the battery but they all refers to a new battery. Would I still need to register the battery even if it's the exact same one that came out of the car?

Alternatively, what odds would you give a battery lasting 2 months without usage and not going flat? In my E46 it lasted 6 weeks....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...
Pull the batt and keep it charge at home without needing to re-register.
Battery will probably go flat sitting for a few months in the vehicle since there's a mild load on it at all times, even more so than a E46.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
pogonific
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30 Xdrive

that's great - many thanks pungo!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

Maybe it's just me... But the bigger question is how do you plan to open the rear hatch with no power when you go to reinstall it... Now that.... Would be my only concern.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
Maybe it's just me... But the bigger question is how do you plan to open the rear hatch with no power when you go to reinstall it... Now that.... Would be my only concern.
Connect jumper cables from a battery or jump box to the jump points in the engine bay, not the 1st time this type of situation has happened
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Before you pull the battery, make sure the physical key operates the driver’s exterior door lock cylinder. If that lock cylinder doesn’t work to manually unlock the driver’s door, and you lock the door and pull the battery…you will be in a deep hole trying to get into the vehicle.

In fact, I would suggest to NOT lock the vehicle with the remote…but lock the vehicle manually from one of the rear passenger doors. That way the doors will only be single locked instead of double locked. Then pull the battery.

The driver’s door has a anti-lock out feature where it cant be locked when it is open. So you will have to use a passenger door to manually push the door pins down…or if you can reach the interior central locking button…you can use that before pulling the battery. Again, this will only single lock the vehicle.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0