BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #1
L3ights
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bwm x3

A little help with transfer box

Hey everyone,

I’m new here and it’s been years since I’ve been on a forum, I am looking for some advice.

I recently bought a BWM X3 20d manual 2012 and there seems to be some noises, when I pull off in 1st it judders and as I put it into 2nd the car seems to slow down like there is a restriction, when in 2nd if I press the clutch it rattles likes tHe engine is l about stall.

I took it to a local garage who couldn’t find any wrong and he suggested to take it to BMW for a diagnostic. I called them and am currently waiting for a call back as they are extremely busy, I also called the BMW garage where all the serving was carried out, they told me that it was brought in to diagnose a knocking sound in march and the issue was it needed a new transfer box, appointment was made to get it fixed but then cancelled.

Can someone clarify if these are the symptoms of a faulty transfer box and also when I googled it it shows transfer case, is there a difference between a transfer box and case? And also what cost am I looking to pay.

I hope some can clear this up.

Thanks you
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
Danielali
Rep
Drives: X3

I've got my X3 shuddering every time I make a turn. The transfer cases on these are made with plastic gears which wear out. I have lived with this issue for many years. I change the transfer case oil once or twice each year and the issue goes away but then it comes back. The permanent solution is to get one of the refurbished transfer cases that some people repurpose which have the plastic replaced with metal gears. It's an expensive repair the BMW people quoted me $4K for it, an outside garage quoted 2K replacement with a used transfer case. I didn't care to switch it have been driving as is for the last 4 years.
Appreciate 0