BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #23
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereic View Post
OK understood.
But.. in the past all changes to the VO (when coded my F07) have been adopted into the BMW Servers if coded in VCM/MSM.
I saw this with a friend who works as Master Technician at my dealer. The BMW Servers did contain the SoftClose- and SurroundView-Retrofits and they were able to update the car without errors.

So would it not be possible if updated in VCM/MSM? And that the BMW Servers would adopt it?
This is totally different from those sorts of retrofits since those are purely hardware retrofits with no server authentication required for them to operate, since Digital Key is 100% reliant on the ConnectedDrive servers to issue and store NFC information to operate.

The same case is true for those G20/G05s that are 2019-2020 MY where they had Digital Key hardware, but only provisioning for Digital Key Classic (DK 1.0 - Prior to 07/2020) while 2021 MY has Digital Key (DK 1.5 - 07/2020 and later)

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1742346

There is actually no way to enable DK 1.5 from just VO changes on the 2019-2020 MY, since the ConnectedDrive account has the check under the production date. So for those who try to do a VO change for DK 1.5, it won't work regardless since the ConnectedDrive side also needs to be able to issue a DK 1.5 protocol to the app.

Hence anything Digital Key related is ConnectedDrive server based, and not FASTA server based.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:54 PM   #24
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Digging this back up, its possible to activate NFC in the car, I am trying to get ahold of BMW engineering to see if they can turn on server side, our cars do in fact have the USB module and NFC door handles, just not the NFC pad in the coin tray. I have activated the NFC in the car and everything is "working" properly, just awaiting my next step of seeing if its as easy as turning it on in my account, per the discussion of VCM/MSM.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 3
///minh764.50
iSpY22.50
fatalius105.00
      06-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #25
cehrl7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.75]
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2022 X3MC  [10.00]
I just picked up my 2022 X3MC. It came with the digital key.
Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:43 PM   #26
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Appreciate 3
///minh764.50
iSpY22.50
fatalius105.00
      06-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #27
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Digging this back up, its possible to activate NFC in the car, I am trying to get ahold of BMW engineering to see if they can turn on server side, our cars do in fact have the USB module and NFC door handles, just not the NFC pad in the coin tray.
that's interesting, and that's news that the door handles already have the NFC reader. you said you already installed the NFC/Wireless charger pad on the car as well? was it plug and play or was splicing involved?

and I assume in "expert" mode in bimmercode, you just set everything to "aktiv". with that enabled does the phone react to at all?
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #28
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
My '22 x3 m also came with the digital key - key card and phone key. I dont use them probably because im not used to it. But the digital version of the keys still has to be in your hand because it needs to make contact with the door handle.

I cant unlock my door with the key card in my back pocket or phone in my hand, has to be by the handle.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #29
iSpY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Digging this back up, its possible to activate NFC in the car, I am trying to get ahold of BMW engineering to see if they can turn on server side, our cars do in fact have the USB module and NFC door handles, just not the NFC pad in the coin tray. I have activated the NFC in the car and everything is "working" properly, just awaiting my next step of seeing if its as easy as turning it on in my account, per the discussion of VCM/MSM.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Wow...this is great and thanks for sharing! Please keep us posted once you hear back from BMW engineering. Would really love to add the digital key function to my 22 (even if BMW wants to charge for it).
Appreciate 1
fatalius105.00
      06-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #30
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

I honestly don't get the fascination with this feature - to me, it's certainly not worth trying to retrofit into a car.

I had it - fully functional on my M5C. I used it exactly one time and that was it. If I were BMW, I'd call the guys over at Tesla and ask them to license their digital key tech. Some bias here as my wife has a Tesla - in so far as Digital Key and Tesla, it's a non-think, zero touch experience. Walk up, open the door, sit down, put in gear and go, never touch your phone.

With the BMW it's either fumble with the card (now in the Tesla that too), or get your phone out of your pocket, authenticate to the bmw key in the wallet then hold the phone near the door handle in just the right spot, THEN get it in the tray in just the right spot. Horrible UX IMO.

At least the key w comfort access works pretty well - yes, after driving a Tesla for a while it's a bit of a pain in the @ss to remember to put keys in your pocket but after that it's pretty much walk up and drive away.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #31
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea70 View Post
I honestly don't get the fascination with this feature - to me, it's certainly not worth trying to retrofit into a car.

I had it - fully functional on my M5C. I used it exactly one time and that was it. If I were BMW, I'd call the guys over at Tesla and ask them to license their digital key tech. Some bias here as my wife has a Tesla - in so far as Digital Key and Tesla, it's a non-think, zero touch experience. Walk up, open the door, sit down, put in gear and go, never touch your phone.

With the BMW it's either fumble with the card (now in the Tesla that too), or get your phone out of your pocket, authenticate to the bmw key in the wallet then hold the phone near the door handle in just the right spot, THEN get it in the tray in just the right spot. Horrible UX IMO.

At least the key w comfort access works pretty well - yes, after driving a Tesla for a while it's a bit of a pain in the @ss to remember to put keys in your pocket but after that it's pretty much walk up and drive away.

I was making it a pet project to try and make it a touch free fumble free expereince by tring to bypass things. BMW def wont let me but if I can get access to NFC and retrofit, I'm at least one step closer to "hotwiring" it persay. I love this feature on my Model Y, I cant believe BMW doesnt have it yet....... it would save them parts on the car and money.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #32
romes4rs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, X3MC, MYP

Quote:

This is exactly my experience so far with Digital Key, including the ease use in a Tesla. Wouldn't necessarily mind the tapping the handle but it just doesn't work every time right away.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #33
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

Oh - also I guess I neglected to mention - the 2022 X3MC I picked up 2 weeks back with an early May build date DOES have digital key. The dealer did not give me the key card and I haven't bothered to set up my phone - but the hardware and options in iDrive are all there.
Appreciate 1
thestimp1033.00
      06-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #34
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:

1. I guess you were using it wrong? you don't need to "fumble" your phone and go to the Wallet app. it doesn't even need to be unlocked. simply take it out and tap the door handle... it would automatically unlock the car without having to authenticate anything. it works just like Express Transit.

2. some of us have an Apple Watch. having to just tap my Watch to get in would be so much nicer so there's no need to take my phone out in the first place. and I always place my phone in the console tray anyway so start and go would be a non-issue.

3. in terms of a zero-touch experience, iDrive 8 introduces digital key plus which uses UWB so the car will detect your phone within 20 feet, so it will unlock automatically like it does with Comfort Access 2.0. Of course, iDrive 8 is relatively new and won't be coming to the F97 chassis so that's a moot point. in the future however, that's pretty much the end game, making the key fob completely redundant.

ymmv I suppose, but personally, the less I carry the better.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
iSpY22.50
thestimp1033.00
      06-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #35
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
No, there is in fact no NFC readers in our car.

If we enable the NFC readers for the exterior and interior for BDC, we get these errors in ISTA showing none are connected.

Therefore we have to retrofit them ourselves, both the NFC door handle and the NFC pad.

The NFC certification is just that, a software license since all G chassis with ID7 have to have compatibility for software license to support such features.

But you are right, we do need to still get someone on the ConnectedDrive server & possibly from FASTA (BMW AG) to remove 32Z from the VO in order for ConnectedDrive to offer the Digital Key service on our specified VINs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
iSpY22.50
thestimp1033.00
      06-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #36
romes4rs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, X3MC, MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
1. I guess you were using it wrong? you don't need to "fumble" your phone and go to the Wallet app. it doesn't even need to be unlocked. simply take it out and tap the door handle... it would automatically unlock the car without having to authenticate anything. it works just like Express Transit.

2. some of us have an Apple Watch. having to just tap my Watch to get in would be so much nicer so there's no need to take my phone out in the first place. and I always place my phone in the console tray anyway so start and go would be a non-issue.

3. in terms of a zero-touch experience, iDrive 8 introduces digital key plus which uses UWB so the car will detect your phone within 20 feet, so it will unlock automatically like it does with Comfort Access 2.0. Of course, iDrive 8 is relatively new and won't be coming to the F97 chassis so that's a moot point. in the future however, that's pretty much the end game, making the key fob completely redundant.

ymmv I suppose, but personally, the less I carry the better.
Thanks for this. I still find the phone to be cumbersome but my apple watch works much faster and every time. Just need a lil circle of ppf over the sensor to prevent any long term paint wear.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:12 AM   #37
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
No, there is in fact no NFC readers in our car.

If we enable the NFC readers for the exterior and interior for BDC, we get these errors in ISTA showing none are connected.

Therefore we have to retrofit them ourselves, both the NFC door handle and the NFC pad.

The NFC certification is just that, a software license since all G chassis with ID7 have to have compatibility for software license to support such features.

But you are right, we do need to still get someone on the ConnectedDrive server & possibly from FASTA (BMW AG) to remove 32Z from the VO in order for ConnectedDrive to offer the Digital Key service on our specified VINs.
Yeah I mispoke, I have an NFC handle because I got one to try from before.

I got ahold of someone there and they are looking into my request, from what he said, they think they can easily just modify our account via VIN and turn the feature on, but they don't know the security and what not behind it just yet. So he is going to check what the repercussions would be system wise on their side. He does not have the power to yes or no this, just give me the answers of yes/no is it technically possible post build for their systems to accept. There is NO plan for bmw to ever offer this as an "update" though, they are too lazy apparently for Knick knack upgrades.

Its def a pain to stalk and track these people down... Linkedin is the new myspace..
Appreciate 1
iSpY22.50
      06-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #38
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Is there a way to confirm if this NFC option will be included in a build?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:15 PM   #39
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPM4 View Post
Is there a way to confirm if this NFC option will be included in a build?
if its built after today, you have it,
Appreciate 1
ZCPM4134.00
      06-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #40
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

came across this article about Tesla's NFC being hackable and thought it may be of interest.

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-could-...len-1849048005
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 06:25 AM   #41
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Question regarding digital key. On my order confirmation, I got credited with 70 or so euros because the key got deleted back in the days.

Does it now comes as standard and I simply have to pay the aforesaid 70 bucks, or does the car come without digital key as the order confirmation states so?

Cheers!

Edit: car planned to be built in early July.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #42
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTBA View Post
Question regarding digital key. On my order confirmation, I got credited with 70 or so euros because the key got deleted back in the days.

Does it now comes as standard and I simply have to pay the aforesaid 70 bucks, or does the car come without digital key as the order confirmation states so?

Cheers!

Edit: car planned to be built in early July.
Talk to your bmw person, you can add it back into your build if it has not been produced yet!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 03:14 AM   #43
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
I did so. Funnily enough, for non-US spec cars there is a great chance that you cannot ad it back. Indeed, my dealer said he has got no possibility in the system to change the current config regarding Wireless charging or Digital Key (status still 111, planned to be built beginning of July).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #44
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Could I ask - regardless of the Digital Key - did anyone figure out how to add the wireless charging pad? I'm pissed mine came with that delete and could live without digital key. I'd like the wireless charging pad to

(a) add the charging option and forgot your phone
(b) remove that god-dam-awful non-wireless charging are they put in that'd completely the wrong shape for ANY phone I can imagine :-/
Appreciate 0