BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Money0047
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

BMW X3M Competition OR X5 xDrive40i?

Hello everyone,

Posting this to get insight for one or the other. I know this is the X3M forum but I am interested in both. Just wanted to get advice from you guys. Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your time. Stay safe.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money47 View Post
Hello everyone,

Posting this to get insight for one or the other. I know this is the X3M forum but I am interested in both. Just wanted to get advice from you guys. Which one would you choose and why?

If you want a sports car, X3M. If you are going to use it for comfort and family hauling, X5-Anything.
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #3
Travisbach2381
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Picked up my X3MC on Saturday it is the most exciting vehicle I have had the chance to drive. Previous to this my favorite was the ZL1. Although that car is faster than my X3M it is not anywhere near as functional a vehicle. If you have a chance to drive one you will understand. The X5 will probably feel a little more plush but the X3 is amazing Inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
mzmz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M; 718 Cayman

I came from a G05 40i to X4M. The X5 was the more rational choice. It offered an excellent blend of comfort, visibility, sportiness, and off road capabilities. The B58 was no joke in that car. The air suspension also gave the car a very plush ride.

The X4M was an emotional choice. It is not as practical or comfortable, nor can I take it to off roading. Oh it also has abysmal gas mileage. However the ridiculousness of the S58 and the car's extremely sharp handling is more than enough to compensate for all those flaws. The cars puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, and to me that's more important than having a more well rounded car. I have never regretted making the switch.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
Money0047
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
If you want a sports car, X3M. If you are going to use it for comfort and family hauling, X5-Anything.
Okay good points thank you. Technically I can still take the wife and baby out in the X3M? I’m assuming the X5 will just be a lot more smooth and a little more space. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
Money0047
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmz View Post
I came from a G05 40i to X4M. The X5 was the more rational choice. It offered an excellent blend of comfort, visibility, sportiness, and off road capabilities. The B58 was no joke in that car. The air suspension also gave the car a very plush ride.

The X4M was an emotional choice. It is not as practical or comfortable, nor can I take it to off roading. Oh it also has abysmal gas mileage. However the ridiculousness of the S58 and the car's extremely sharp handling is more than enough to compensate for all those flaws. The cars puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, and to me that's more important than having a more well rounded car. I have never regretted making the switch.
We’ve test drove the X5 and fell in love with it but my heart is telling me to go the full M for the X3. I can’t even fathom that much power and practically in an SUV. Would you stay with the X3M if you had the choice? What are your favorite things about it if you don’t mind explaining? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Travisbach2381
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Quote:
Quote:

We’ve test drove the X5 and fell in love with it but my heart is telling me to go the full M for the X3. I can’t even fathom that much power and practically in an SUV. Would you stay with the X3M if you had the choice? What are your favorite things about it if you don’t mind explaining? Thanks in advance
X3M all the way it is not comparable when it comes to performance.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
mzmz
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M; 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:

We've test drove the X5 and fell in love with it but my heart is telling me to go the full M for the X3. I can't even fathom that much power and practically in an SUV. Would you stay with the X3M if you had the choice? What are your favorite things about it if you don't mind explaining? Thanks in advance
I would keep the car 10/10.

Fav things:

1. Power. So much power. Too much power for a SAV but I love it.

2. Handling and cornering. The handling is so precise and gives you so much confidence.

3. Exhaust. Stock S58 is not that loud but it's still a lot better than the B58 in the X5.

4. Looks. This is subjective but X4M looks a lot better than X5 with M package imo.

Here's one thing you need to keep in mind though. The ride quality in the M is tolerable but far from the comfort level in a X5 with air suspension. You should have your wife and baby sit in the back of the X3M and see if the comfort level is manageable. From my friends' comments it could be quite bumpy back there on tough roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Coming from an STi (actually I have had 3 of them) That ride is comparable to the X3M. Even in comfort mode it was very stiff. I recommend driving both of them to see what you feel.
With a wife and baby you may want to go for comfort rather than straight power.
The S58 engine is amazing, and the seats with the Merino Leather were the most comfortable I have ever sat in. If you want to go fast X3M, if you want to cruise in comfort, X5.
      06-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Okay good points thank you. Technically I can still take the wife and baby out in the X3M? I’m assuming the X5 will just be a lot more smooth and a little more space. Thanks for the input.
Had an X5 for 12+ years, downsized to an X3MC, then an X4MC.

Our 2008 X5 was just a little bit bigger inside and out, had the optional 3rd row seat, and just felt like more of a comfortable family cruiser/mover, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It was a great car!

The X3M (vs an X5M which is just crazy stupid too much money for me) was just the right choice as we no longer have kids at home, but do have grandkids (5 and 7 years old) that ride with us on occasion.

I think the others did a great job in their description and comparisons.
The XxM is a refined sports car on low-stilts, it goes like mad, corners like crazy, carriers almost as much stuff as an X5, and is just a ton of fun to drive.
It's not raw like you would have with an exotic, but goes just as well.
We don't find the ride harsh at all (my wife has a Macan so similar ride) but some people do...

If you can drive them back to back with your family it's probably the best option, but realize finding an XxM on a dealer lot might be tough right now.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #11
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

If you need the car to do daily errands and family hauling duties, the X5 is the more sensible choice.
The X3MC is a “want” car and you have to willing want to love the unique traits that comes with a true sports SAV.

I believe there is a compromise in existence, and it’s the X5MC

Just my 2 cents

2024 M2, 2024 GT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 12:49 AM   #12
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

came from 1m to x3mc. i have never owned an x5 so take my comparison with a grain of salt. the x3m is a beast. i wanted to be able to drive like my 1m but with the cargo capacity of an suv. although the x3m obviously has more weight, the suspension is amazing and i typically drive with suspension in sport. this may be a bit too bumpy for some, but i like the road feedback of a firm suspension and it doesn't bother me in the least. between the two, x3m will give you performance and sacrifice a bit of comfort and space. x5 will give you plush at the expense of sporty handling. if you need plush, power and sporty handling, then x5mc. the other factor was that the x5 platform was a tad too big for my garage. having said all of that, the right vehicle for you is whatever your wife approves so, if you are able to, test drive the cars you are interested in and see what she says.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:15 AM   #13
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1m View Post
came from 1m to x3mc. i have never owned an x5 so take my comparison with a grain of salt. the x3m is a beast. i wanted to be able to drive like my 1m but with the cargo capacity of an suv. although the x3m obviously has more weight, the suspension is amazing and i typically drive with suspension in sport. this may be a bit too bumpy for some, but i like the road feedback of a firm suspension and it doesn't bother me in the least. between the two, x3m will give you performance and sacrifice a bit of comfort and space. x5 will give you plush at the expense of sporty handling. if you need plush, power and sporty handling, then x5mc. the other factor was that the x5 platform was a tad too big for my garage. having said all of that, the right vehicle for you is whatever your wife approves so, if you are able to, test drive the cars you are interested in and see what she says.
Haha😄 I wanted the m3 but got the x3m - wife approved!

If you've had a lowered car in the past, the x3m will feel quite similar to that but slightly more comfortable.

Also you have to consider the roads where you live and where you'll be driving most of the time.

The x3m is basically a performance car with space and height. You can smoke most cars but still carry your family in relative comfort.

Also the car is mostly RWD and in 4x4 Sport mode it will drift!

I haven't driven a x5 40i, but I have driven the x3 40i on track and they are quick but normal people quick and the x drive is less rwd focused. Safer if your not a used to the back-end stepping out.

Last edited by knali8; 06-06-2022 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 03:55 AM   #14
Money0047
Enlisted Member
Rep

I seriously appreciate all of you replying and giving me your insight. Apologies for not getting back to you all. Everything you all mentioned is 100% true and reassured what we are looking for.

Huge thanks once again. Definitely going with the X3M and I’m sure it’ll be a lot better than our 20’ Mazda CX-5.

Have a great one and take care guys
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3852.00
      06-06-2022, 04:38 AM   #15
mistasleepi
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a 2019 x5 and a 2022 x4mc. If you want something a little bit more roomy and comfortable go for the x5. If you don’t care about those things then the x3m would be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 05:06 AM   #16
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [8.85]
OP, since it seems like you're going with the X3, keep in mind, if you opt for the spare tire instead of mobility kit, you lose a good amount of trunk space. I was shocked when I took delivery. I had no idea that option would do that but I feel more comfortable (since it comes with non run flats) knowing there's a spare.
      06-06-2022, 06:17 AM   #17
fatalius
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

I cannot imagine your everlasting smile when you first drive the X3MC after being used to the Mazda CX-5 😅🤣
Appreciate 4
      06-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #18
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Manual

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
You want an X3 MC….If not, you likely would not have posted in a X3 M forum😁
Appreciate 1
font9a4.50