BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
bpang1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger / Camaro SS

Advice Requested - 2018 X3 M40i

Hi All,

Been lurking and reading for a bit now and about ready to pull a trigger on a used 2018 X3 M40i. Most of the ones I am seeing are around 40K to 50K mileage.

I've been looking at Macan S, SQ5 and GLC43. I really think the BMW will be the right mix of performance and size...with the SQ5 a distant 2nd due to how much higher performance the BMW has. Macan would be nice but it has a much smaller cargo area and some of the services at this mileage are pretty $$$ like the PDK service at 40K for $2K.

That being written, do you have any thoughts in terms of the M40i in terms of reliability and services that need to be done? Knowing what you know now, would you hesitate to buy one used at 40K miles?

Does BMW have any required services after 40K miles that are ultra-pricey or something that requires proprietary tools / parts? I think you mostly run into that with Porsche but not sure about the M40i.

I intend to get a mechanical breakdown warranty through my insurance carrier for any major breakdowns. I just worry about some kind of ridiculous $10K service that may be upcoming that I need to do to be in good standing with the warranty. I also have a local mechanic that can do most of the work and he has a personal friend that owns a BMW / Euro car centric shop in case we run into anything my friend can't handle.

I've done a couple of searches and those threads were helpful. I just wanted to cover my bases and appreciate your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Finding one that has detailed service records will be key and make sure you have a good independent mechanic specializing in BMWs. Something that has been well maintained should last as long as it’s kept well maintained.

Here’s a general guide as you starting getting near 60k spark plugs will be key.

https://www.bmwofstratham.com/bmw-x3...e-stratham-nh/

If you can find one that’s had oil changes at every 5K miles that should be something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 02:48 AM   #3
bpang1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippco View Post
Finding one that has detailed service records will be key and make sure you have a good independent mechanic specializing in BMWs. Something that has been well maintained should last as long as it’s kept well maintained.

Here’s a general guide as you starting getting near 60k spark plugs will be key.

https://www.bmwofstratham.com/bmw-x3...e-stratham-nh/

If you can find one that’s had oil changes at every 5K miles that should be something to consider.
Both of the cars I'm looking at have all the services listed on their car faxes because they were done at the dealerships. So that's good.

So no weird BMW-only service that can only be performed there?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 03:01 AM   #4
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
So no weird BMW-only service that can only be performed there?
Basically no. But still wont hurt to use Workshop which is familiar with BMW's.

Mine is driven now about 45 000km, and just today I dropped it to Schmiedmann for the service (oil, sparkplugs, filters..., vehicle check).
So not an "official" BMW service, but their speciality is BMW's and OEM parts will be used.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:33 AM   #5
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

I just sold my X3 with 60,000 miles. The only major expense I had was the front brakes. $1,000. The rest was basic stuff.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
bpang1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
Basically no. But still wont hurt to use Workshop which is familiar with BMW's.

Mine is driven now about 45 000km, and just today I dropped it to Schmiedmann for the service (oil, sparkplugs, filters..., vehicle check).
So not an "official" BMW service, but their speciality is BMW's and OEM parts will be used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Austin View Post
I just sold my X3 with 60,000 miles. The only major expense I had was the front brakes. $1,000. The rest was basic stuff.

Thank you gentlemen.
Appreciate 0