BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #23
X3mcesq
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman_F97 LCI View Post
New wheels and tires that were rubbing. I'd also call BMW NA to file a complaint. They will likely reach out to the dealership to make things right.
If they agreed to replace the rubbing tire, wouldn't I end up with uneven tire wear up front by bringing in a brand new tire vs the non 'damaged' conti with about 3500 miles on it?

Is this an issue?

I want to thank everybody again for chiming in. I value the collective opinion on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #24
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Yikes! What an awful experience and I feel sorry for you.

This is why I always check all wheels after dealership tire swap for any damage or screwup. I don't curb rash my wheels, so am extra observant for any damage from installation or tire storage. So far I have only had good experience at the dealership I go to and will be switching to summers in one week.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #25
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshxdough View Post
I mean understandably they are in the wrong. They are offering to make it right and have already refunded your money and are offering to give you a full detail. I would appreciate everything they are doing and make sure when it's done it looks as good as new again. No reason to ask for more free stuff. I can't say you'd get the same service from anywhere other than a dealership that has proactively gone above and beyond before you even knew the wheels were damaged (if it never had to be towed back). As long as everything that was damaged is fixed, and you can't tell there was any repair done, then I'd be completely happy.

Everyone makes mistakes and they've gone above and beyond to make you happy and make it right.
I respectfully disagree.

Above and beyond would be to extend warranty along with replacing all damaged parts with new (which I believe is the minimum they should do). A repaired part is not the same. I also would be weary of a "full detail" from a dealership who has proven they make mistakes. That could lead to a bunch of swirls in your paint.

It's like you were picking up a new car and they crashed it - and offered to get it into a body shop and make it as good as new.

I personally would not take delivery and would demand a new, not crashed, vehicle.

If they do not want to spend the money to replace with new parts, they should have spent the money on training. Even I know that the tires are different sizes (and double check when I swap from winters to summers) and I am not a certified BMW tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #26
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

man thats shitty bro

id wait and see what they do first

im sure they know they messed up so see how the rims come out first before jumping to conclusion

they will do everything internally to not get you rims only bc its a huge expense even tho its their fault its still a business. just trying to be realistic with you

i will say if the rims are scuffed like bad curb rash typically a good rim guy can make it look like it was new and noithing happened

as long as the rim isnt compromised as far as shape and doesnt compromise performance and in turn your safety they will have to replace it

what i would make sure is the alignment is right and the ride is right

have them check the suspension to make sure nothing not tweaked bc thats like running with your right shoe on your left foot and your left shoe on your right foot lol

best thing to do like everyone is mentioning and get it in writing on a due bill or something

verbal agreement dont mean anything as we all know

i hope you get this figured out brotha shitty situation especially bc you brought it to a certified center
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #27
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

It's easy for someone on the internet to say "ID MAKE THEM REPLACE EVERY PART INVOLVED" but I'll tell you this…my car is mint and if they did this to my car, refinishing the wheels would not do. I would ask for OEM replacements and I'd also be looking at whatever parts the wheel rubbed as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #28
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Bmw 135

The reality of the situation is that you have insurance and so do they. Call your insurance to get an appraisal on damages. They will determine what and how things need to be corrected. There are checks and balances in place to keep things fair and safe. You pay your insurance to work for you when your vehicle is damaged.

Your second option is to ask them to give you what you want. Say u want 4 new 892 wheels for the inconvenience. Your time is money. altho expecting 4 new wheels is unrealistic tbh. Tell em to give you 2 and sell you 2 at cost if there not willing to give all 4.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 06:19 AM   #29
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Call in an independent expert to assess the damage (you don't want BMW to be a referee in its own game) and have the rims replaced. I don't know for you, but I wouldn't accept doing 285km/h (don't know the equivalent in mph) with refurbished wheels.

You won't have any guarantee that the repair shop isn't welding them (thus causing structural damage), so go for new ones. Yet, don't become greedy, they did a mistake and acknowledged it. That's not too bad nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:41 PM   #30
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I always bring my car to Discount Tire for my wheels as they do not charge anything to put winters/summers back on the car. I had a situation where they scratched one of the wheels on the diamond cut portion. They resurfaced it and it was like new. Now granted these were just superficial scratches and not curbrash on the entire back of the rim. I can tell you that some techs will take the car out for a short ride to make sure the wheels are proper, but anything more than just a few miles is overkill. I would want everything replaced that was damaged.
      04-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #31
bbb83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

I actually did what that tech did on my m40i. When the tire place mounted tires on the wheels they put the bigger tires on the smaller wheels, smaller wheels on bigger tires. I didn’t pay attention and put the larger wheels with smaller tires on the front. Upon backing out the car made the worst sound ever. Rubbing and wouldn’t move on its own. I took the wheel off and as you describe the strut was scratched and the whole inside of the wheel got skinned. I can’t imagine how bad yours are taking that thing to the freeway. That thing must have gotten so hot that it had to melt something. Inspect everything super carefully and asked for a wheel replacement at a minimum.

This was the damage done just backing out of my driveway

Appreciate 0