BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I did some highway driving yesterday. And I've noticed something weird with the brakes. When someone braking in front of me and I need to brake quick it almost feels like there is lots of air or something and when I try to brake it almost feels like it's not doing much unless I step even harder on the pedal. And it's quite annoying as I don't remember ever having to deal with this on my 2019 x5. Feels like brake pedal acts different in different situation. Anyone experienced this and is it normal or not ?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Definitely not normal, take it in ASAP. If you do have air in your brake lines and that air gets in the right spot in the lines you won't have brakes at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
So I did some highway driving yesterday. And I've noticed something weird with the brakes. When someone braking in front of me and I need to brake quick it almost feels like there is lots of air or something and when I try to brake it almost feels like it's not doing much unless I step even harder on the pedal. And it's quite annoying as I don't remember ever having to deal with this on my 2019 x5. Feels like brake pedal acts different in different situation. Anyone experienced this and is it normal or not ?
Yep, not normal at all. I barely tap ours and it wants to throw you through the windshield at times (being dramatic but you get it!). You could have air in the lines which is unusual. Usually the air gets stuck in the ABS portion of the module. Have you had the fluid recently changed? If so, if you have a good tool to scan the car, one of the functions is brake bleeding. What it actually does is engages the abs pump when the car is off. You can hear it pumping and it pushes the bubbles out and then you don't have any issues. My Schwaben Scanner has saved me so many times with my BMW's, I highly recommend everyone put one in your car for $$160
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Definitely not normal, take it in ASAP. If you do have air in your brake lines and that air gets in the right spot in the lines you won't have brakes at all.
+1. brakes may need to be properly bled because of air bubble.

OEM brakes should bite immediately.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
+1. brakes may need to be properly bled because of air bubble.

OEM brakes should bite immediately.
Also noticed it only happens on higher speeds.
Appreciate 0