BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Front Bumper - Xpel - Rock Chips

Anyone wrapped their front bumper with xpel to prevent paint damage?

Better yet - has anyone not wrapped their bumper and noticed a lot of paint damage on their front bumper from road debris etc?

Car sits higher than a sedan - which should help, but unsure of what to expect.

Thanks!

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post

Better yet - has anyone not wrapped their bumper and noticed a lot of paint damage on their front bumper from road debris etc?

Thanks!
I had mine done including the entire hood and mirrors and the roof leading up to the moonroof. I'm glad I did it. Even helps getting the bugs off much more easily.

EDIT: and then Ceramic Pro entire vehicle including over the xpel
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 2
DAC17174.50
      06-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post

Thanks!
Yes! Highly recommended if your anal about your car. Do the bottom half of all doors. I already have 2 rock chips above the drivers door and passenger door. These tires love to grab everything on the road including all types of pebbles/rocks and shoot at random.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
redcrxsi
Private
Rep
Drives: F97 x3m

Had the full bumper, hood, mirrors, rockers, door edges etc done. Ran about 2k. Honestly the road I live on winter time gets so much lava rock the car would be destroyed without it. I added mud flaps as well to keep the rear under bumper good since I didn’t wrap that.

Did half hood on my wife’s x5 glad I did the full hood on the x3m, wouldn’t do half hood again!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

I had the following areas PPF'd

- Entire front clip (Front bumper, hood, front fenders)
- Side mirrors
- Roof
- lower portion of all doors (rocker panel area?)

- Clearplex on front windshield

So far the PPF has already paid for itself, - 3rd week of ownership some idiot backed into the X3M while parked in a garage and ran off. The PPF protected the leading edge of the hood (no PPF would've def resulted in a respray at a minimum) as well as the piano black bumper panel just below the grill. The damage was down to the just a cracked driver side kidney grill.

I think you should def PPF the front clip at a minimum as well as the rocker panels all around the lower portion of the doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #6
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

i've only done front fender and 1/3rd of bonnet/hood. So far, no chips outside those areas......except the windscreen!!!! I would be tempted to try film on that next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Absolutely recommended. My entire X3 is Xpel wrapped and then Ceramic Pro on top.
To tell you first hand this thing works. I had a deep scratch on the hood I noticed while sun glare driving. I died inside the day was ruined. I did leave it outside in the sun parked for half the day instead right into the garage. And a few hours later I could not find the scratch at all. Recommend both for sure!
      06-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
EvilEmpirE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant, Porsche 993, M2

I had my buddy Phil at Detailer Domain wrap the whole car in X-Pel.....LOVE IT and totally Worth it!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlexFL7926.50
      06-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I got PPF on the front and mirrors and the. Ceramic over the entire car.

If I were to do it again I would PPF the entire thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #10
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I got PPF on the front and mirrors and the. Ceramic over the entire car.

If I were to do it again I would PPF the entire thing.
I only have ceramic over the whole car. I love the how easy it is to clean with the ceramic coating, but If I were to do it again, I would PPF the whole car. Not sure I'd ceramic over that though. If I had known about Xpel Stealth, I might not have gone ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I did SunTek PPF (I highly recommend over Xpel) on the front bumper, fenders, headlights, mirrors, hood, b pillars, and a rear strip by the trunk ledge.

Then I did ceramic over that and on the rest of the car.
      06-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
I did SunTek PPF (I highly recommend over Xpel) on the front bumper, fenders, headlights, mirrors, hood, b pillars, and a rear strip by the trunk ledge.

Then I did ceramic over that and on the rest of the car.
I had my M2 done with SunTek Ultra. IMO it's probably the best for clarity but the adhesive is not as strong as I had to be very careful with at car washes as it wouldn't take much to lift the film. For that reason alone I went back to Xpel for the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I had my M2 done with SunTek Ultra. IMO it's probably the best for clarity but the adhesive is not as strong as I had to be very careful with at car washes as it wouldn't take much to lift the film. For that reason alone I went back to Xpel for the X3M.
I have had SunTek on 4 cars now and I have never once had that issue. I always wash with a pressure washer too. It honestly sounds more like an install issue. Some installers heat seal edges, some don't.
      06-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I have had SunTek on 4 cars now and I have never once had that issue. I always wash with a pressure washer too. It honestly sounds more like an install issue. Some installers heat seal edges, some don't.
Nope it's common knowledge and I got it done by a reputable company that does high end cars. Google it if you want as it's the stronger adhesive of Xpel that makes it more difficult to install which is why some installers prefer Suntek. A simple search and here's a nice comparison;

https://ftadetailing.com/blog/xpel-v...otection-film/

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Suntek but being in Canada where you need to do a lot of pressure washing in the winter to remove salt and road debris I prefer the stronger adhesive of Xpel as it's never lifted on several vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Nope it's common knowledge and I got it done by a reputable company that does high end cars. Google it if you want as it's the stronger adhesive of Xpel that makes it more difficult to install which is why some installers prefer Suntek. A simple search and here's a nice comparison;

https://ftadetailing.com/blog/xpel-v...otection-film/

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Suntek but being in Canada where you need to do a lot of pressure washing in the winter to remove salt and road debris I prefer the stronger adhesive of Xpel as it's never lifted on several vehicles.
I'm aware it has stronger adhesive, but it's not necessary in my opinion and it is what contributes in part to Xpel not looking nearly as good as SunTek. I'm in New York, we have harsh winters and I pressure wash my car year round. My installer is experienced with making sure edges don't become issues.
      06-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmpirE View Post
I had my buddy Phil at Detailer Domain wrap the whole car in X-Pel.....LOVE IT and totally Worth it!!
I've heard great things about Phil and have suntek as well on the 911. to anyone looking to have this done I highly recommend "buying the installer" as someone who is very very experienced will be able to give you the pros and cons of each kind of film. I have used Atlanta protective films and they are fantastic. you can check their Facebook for examples of their work. they are super professional, extremely experienced, and very nice and easy to deal with.
2016 X5 M-sport 50, 2013 M6 AW/Black, 2012 X5M AW/Black, 2011 M3, 2008 335i, 2006 M3, 2008 335i, 2002 M3, 2002 330ci, 1997 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
I only have ceramic over the whole car. I love the how easy it is to clean with the ceramic coating, but If I were to do it again, I would PPF the whole car. Not sure I'd ceramic over that though. If I had known about Xpel Stealth, I might not have gone ceramic.
I was told by the installer that PPF tends to attract dirt which is why ceramic over it is recommended (he could have been upselling me though).

To be honest, I don't find ceramic that much easier to clean than a good coat of wax. I was hoping dust would not stick to it but it does so the car gets dirty at the same rate. I also have to work to get tire dressing sling off of it (and it is hard to see on my dark X3).

I rarely drive it in the rain which they say is supposed to wash dirt off.

Edit - I also had the front of the wheels done and it doesn't seem to do much for brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
sarasetp
Rep
Drives: 2020 F90 M5 Competition

Mtxzptlk When you said you use Clearplex for your windshield protection, how clear does it remain on the windshield?

How long will it last before you need to replace it from scratches?

Do you get scratches from the wiper, making night visibility create star effect with headlights from cars in the other direction?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #19
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

@sarasetp I've wondered about the ClearPlex stuff too.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
@sarasetp I've wondered about the ClearPlex stuff too.
Older thread on another board but it seems most aren't fans.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076...ld-or-not.html

Seems that although it does work, it gets dinged and scratched and doesn't stay clear for very long.

I saw a recent YouTube vid on it and they said there is no product that they would recommend for windshields at this time.

Here's one poster's opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minthral
Something else to point out is you may want to check with your insurance provider. Some will deny claims in the event you get into an accident and they discover you have windshield film that distorts your vision. It illegal because for similar reasons as a tint in that it doesn't let all light pass through after its all scratched up (smears from wipers). Some companies stopped installing it completely because they got sued by (lol) their customers.

Charge is 150 for Windshield Armor and a few other brands, but some charge as much as 450. That's a lot of money considering it only last 6 months for a daily driver (maybe 1-2 years if its a third car). It takes about 2-3 hours to remove old and install new. A real big hassle, also considering there aren't many installers and I had to drive nearly 2 hrs to a reputable shop.

Install is never perfect and you end up with 'stuff' behind the film or marks on top. No different than having a little normal dirt or chips on it. Difference is you can always clean/polish glass, but the imperfections stay on the film until its replaced. Seems so pointless...its supposed to prevent imperfections, but by installing it you get plenty of imperfections.

The main problem is how it ever so slightly distorts your vision, especially for very low slopped glass like on sports cars. You get used to it and it gets worse as time goes by. I would get into my golf TDI (old beat up windshield, but no film) and was thinking 'wow the windshield is so easy to see out of!' The visible edges of the film are plain ugly and collect dirt too.

Also as mentioned, it starts to flake as wear and this flaked off plastic stuff can clog the drain holes around below the glass. It was a real pain to 'unclog' them in a previous car.

It 100% works through. I had a huge stone hit the film and it left zero damage and also none after it was removed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #21
sarasetp
Rep
Drives: 2020 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Older thread on another board but it seems most aren't fans.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076...ld-or-not.html

Seems that although it does work, it gets dinged and scratched and doesn't stay clear for very long.

I saw a recent YouTube vid on it and they said there is no product that they would recommend for windshields at this time.

Here's one poster's opinion:
Thanks for the response. Yes, I saw the YouTube video which is why I question the idea. You post is really helpful. I just wish there was a way to protect the windshield because these cars with the tech make replacing a windshield so expensive. I had to replace mine and it was around $1,500. Fixed for a month, and then another rock out of nowhere cracked the new windshield. So pissed!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #22
spta97
Colonel
Rep

I've had one rock chip but luckily did not have to replace. Still annoyed about it though.

There is really nothing you can do other than leave room in front of you. That doesn't always help though, the rock chip I got was from a car in another lane.
Appreciate 0