BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #155
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Talked to my SA a few mins ago and they said the same thing. Order banks open in July, initial deliveries oct/nov.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #156
UCMikeyG99
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy80 View Post
Just curious, why sensatec over the leather for you?
While this wasn't asked directly to me, I'm in the same boat. I would prefer sensatec from an ethical standpoint. Having been a vegetarian for 25 years I do my best to avoid animal products. So being able to get the same features with sensatec as leather allows me to still get the car I want without having to comprise my ethics.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #157
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy80 View Post
Just curious, why sensatec over the leather for you?
I like the more durable look of sensatec over time vs leather (getting stretched and wrinkly).
Personal preference is all.

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:15 AM   #158
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
So ROW got a 5 weeks jumps. Hard to believe as this is where they make their money (except for China) and they treat us like shit...
Or it might be a coordinated worldwide market introduction and they just don't have to wait 5 weeks shipping the cars from Spartanburg to the end of the world in the US case.
Appreciate 1
mathys196.50
      06-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #159
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
So ROW got a 5 weeks jumps. Hard to believe as this is where they make their money (except for China) and they treat us like shit...
Or it might be a coordinated worldwide market introduction and they just don't have to wait 5 weeks shipping the cars from Spartanburg to the end of the world in the US case.
Exactly! They can do the debut at Chendu and IAA, with customer cars arriving simultaneously across the globe in October/November.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #160
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Changes to Dynamic Damper options ?

Hi

New to the forum and have a question about any known difference in the way DDC on the LCI model is selected. On the outgoing model (non M40), I think there is a physical "dynamic" and "Eco" button on the console in addition to Comfort and Sport, but I can't see this on images of the LCI or mention of it in the launch info.

"With the optional Dynamic Damper Control, the electronically controlled shocks adapt to both road conditions and driving style. For either a sporty or comfortable basic set-up, there is a choice of two settings that can be activated using the driving experience switch"

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #161
EMB-89
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
It is in the normal order of things that features from the higher-end M vehicles eventually make their way down to the lesser ones, with M Motorsport actual racecars standing at the top end of the spectrum and M Sport production trim at the lower end. As previously released features are trickling down the ladder, all-new features keep being released higher up to feed the continuous improvement cycle. Hence why M mirrors, M grille, M hood with power dome, M carbon roof, M spoiler, M safety belts... either already have or eventually will make their way to lower-tier models. This cascading down of iconic M features doesn't seem problematic per se as long as the hardcore M models higher up the ladder keep in turn gaining new race-derived features that keep them unmistakably sportier and more desirable than the lower-end versions (better aero, more carbon standard, lighter wheels with centerlock nuts, sportier seats, more alcantara, more M stitching, more red details, larger paddle shifters...?).

Having said that, I do agree that this model refresh here is perhaps demoting too many M features at a time (M double-slat grille, M grille badge, M color steering wheel...). But BMW is obviously keen on making its M lineup look like a continuum / color gradient / steady stairway, rather than a binary step function with 'real M models' on one side and 'fake M models' on the other: all M-branded models are the same breed, they just get more purebred the higher you go up the ladder (can't find that chart right now, but it's interesting they are now labeling the base M models 'M High Performance' as if to round off the angles and better relate to the 'M Performance' models, just like Competition already relates to CS and CSL):

M Motorsport
M CSL
M CS
M Competition
M High Performance
M Performance
M Sport

XXXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXX
XXXX
XXX
XX
X
The problem I have is that BMW is diluting the M brand, it's not exclusive anymore. I don't have an issue with the M hierarchy (it's been there for years), but every model should be distinguishable from the other. M Performance models should have their own unique design touches, like the honeycomb grille and cerium grey accents, these are nowhere to be seen on the facelifted X3/X4. Where's the consistency throughout the M Performance range?
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #162
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Hi

New to the forum and have a question about any known difference in the way DDC on the LCI model is selected. On the outgoing model (non M40), I think there is a physical "dynamic" and "Eco" button on the console in addition to Comfort and Sport, but I can't see this on images of the LCI or mention of it in the launch info.

"With the optional Dynamic Damper Control, the electronically controlled shocks adapt to both road conditions and driving style. For either a sporty or comfortable basic set-up, there is a choice of two settings that can be activated using the driving experience switch"

Thoughts?
Here's a close up of the driving experience switches - SPORT, COMFORT, ECO PRO - on the LCI.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #163
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Sadly, the phrase "take rate" on this option may not be enough to justify providing it as an option. Otherwise, if they're trying to stay within a price point, certain items get the axe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
That's nothing new. They always have more and better options than us in the USA.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #164
zilla91
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is to having the mild hybrid system. I can understand reviews being positive, just wondering what drivers are finding to be an advantage to having the system. It certainly will cost more in maintenance down the road. And it adds to the complexity of the drive train. An incremental increase in gas mileage is very minor, and a slightly smoother ASS experience seems to be negated by an inability to turn it off. More weight cuts the 0-60 time, but minutely. So what's the upside to adding this complicated system to the drive train?
Improved consumption, smoother stop start and when you put your foot down you get a little "e-boost". 0-60 times? Who cares, it's a family SUV. If you care about straight line pace go get a proper sports car

Yikes, if you think the pre-facelift car is a simple drive train with low maintenance costs, you're in for a huge shock. Mild hybrids are hardly cutting bits of technology so I think BMW know a thing or two about making sure it's reliable.
Appreciate 2
jacko15208.50
      06-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #165
wifesnewbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 3 series 328Xi

Good news - my "BFF" at BMW wrote back that the July 16 WAS a typo! It will be JUNE 16 for build your own...to be followed shortly thereafter for the M's.
Appreciate 4
      06-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #166
zilla91
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Overall it's not too bad a facelift, although if I was ordering today I'd wish I could tone down the X3M styling (i.e. have some normal wing mirrors and a grill without the M logo) on my M40i.

Interior refresh is good although I'm not that envious

What I am envious of is the new paint options, SP18, the OTA software updates, the MHEV system (still bugs me the M40d got it in the MY21 cars but not the M40i) and the Driver Assistant Pro with the dashcam. Quite like the new standard 21s as well but then again I also like my ones as well, even if I do find the ride incredibly crashy and uncomfortable.

One thing I've not been to work out from the UK configurator is if the new car has the reversing assistant feature or not. Does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #167
wifesnewbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 3 series 328Xi

Anyone have the Ordering and Pricing Guides? Deaers must have them by now if June 16 is the date to "build your own.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #168
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
For those talking about the "major" interior refresh, the odd thing to me is that BMW only really updated the center console/stack. They still left the legacy dash, door cards, door pulls, etc. I understand that it was probably a cost decision, but it makes for an oddly disjointed interior now IMO.
that was my first thought - they forgot to redesign the door!
Just curious, what would be updated in the door. It's not a standout design but it's fine I thought.
      06-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #169
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

What seems to be facilitating the fresher looking X3 front end is the same on the X2. BMW have included the fog lights mow onto the main headlight cluster.

Interesting move and if the execution works, why not!
      06-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #170
Paavju
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
For those talking about the "major" interior refresh, the odd thing to me is that BMW only really updated the center console/stack. They still left the legacy dash, door cards, door pulls, etc. I understand that it was probably a cost decision, but it makes for an oddly disjointed interior now IMO.
Is this your first BMW? LCI is update, no upgrade to new model. "legacy dash, door cards, door pulls, etc"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #171
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla91 View Post
One thing I've not been to work out from the UK configurator is if the new car has the reversing assistant feature or not. Does anyone know?
Parking Assistant appears to be a £0 option in the UK configurator, and ....

From BMW UK Media Information -

"• Reorganised and significantly expanded range of modern
driver assistance systems: for the first time, Driving Assistant
Professional* and BMW Drive Recorder are available as optional
extras for the BMW X3 and BMW X4, while the optional Parking
Assistant now includes the reverse assistant
."

Looks like stuff is still being added/updated to the configurator, such as correct images and descriptions. Also, some options don't match what's shown on the UK website i.e. Cognac Leather only shows on M40 in the configurator but shows as an option on the website.

Last edited by avi66; 06-11-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #172
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Here's a close up of the driving experience switches - SPORT, COMFORT, ECO PRO - on the LCI.
Thanks. Any idea how the "dynamic" mode is set to let the X3 decide based on driving style etc ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #173
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB-89 View Post
The problem I have is that BMW is diluting the M brand, it's not exclusive anymore. I don't have an issue with the M hierarchy (it's been there for years), but every model should be distinguishable from the other. M Performance models should have their own unique design touches, like the honeycomb grille and cerium grey accents, these are nowhere to be seen on the facelifted X3/X4. Where's the consistency throughout the M Performance range?
Yes, I've also noticed the badging on that X4 M40i is chrome instead of Cerium Gray: it looks like they're ditching the Cerium Gray elements across the M Performance range (grille, mirror caps, wheels, badging...) in favor of a more traditional mix of black and chrome, i.e. just like on the M Sport range immediately below and the M High Performance range a.k.a. base M range immediately above (clearing out any confusion between the M Performance Cerium Gray and the CS gold-bronze as a side-effect); a consistency gain which is an esthetic loss as I personally also find Cerium Gray fantastic. By that same token, the current M Performance dotted line grille pattern on non-X vehicles is likely also going down the drain in favor of the M double-slat pattern across the entire M Performance range; for consistency and perhaps because of too many dislikes?

So it looks like M Performance and base M models are now going to be more closely related in terms of features, naming, trim and chrome badging, while Competition models are likely going to be portrayed as being more related to CS and CSL (even though the CS gold-bronze theme conflicts with the Competition black trim... which suggests that CS may perhaps itself be connected upwards to CSL by a common gold-bronze theme?). All in all, a cohesive link chain style M lineup where every step of the ladder is tightly connected to the level above and the level below, but this smooth gradient style lineup unfortunately implies getting rid of the odd Cerium Gray theme on the M Performance level as it seems.

As for dilution of exclusivity, it isn't sustainable anymore to only reserve the M brand to actual racecars and hardcore production models which will only be seen in the streets every so often; BMW is a production car manufacturer first of all and it makes sense for them to apply their sporty label M on all their sporty flavored models (well, save the 128ti oddball I guess); hence why the growth of the M Sport range and the M Performance range. So it appears like exclusivity on higher-end M models will now come from extra race-derived features more than from the branding itself.

Last edited by advantage20; 06-11-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #174
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Thanks. Any idea how the "dynamic" mode is set to let the X3 decide based on driving style etc ?
Search for "adaptive mode".
      06-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #175
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB-89 View Post
The problem I have is that BMW is diluting the M brand, it's not exclusive anymore.
No, and it's been going in that direction for many years (same with Merc and AMG). We're enthusiasts. Some of us are old enthusiasts who remember that BMW was the sport/sporty alternative to more traditional luxury cars. But for many years, BMW has moved down the continuum to be more of a mass market brand. Their numbers prove that out, and while we enthusiasts may not be happy about it, BMW's shareholders are.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #176
af18
Rep
Drives: .

June 16th confirmed for Build and Price availability on bmwusa.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 4