BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #23
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say how wicked awesome the F98 is. I know a lot of people say, oh why get that impractical coupe when you can have a X3M. But then, the X3M owners need MSS springs and still say, it rides so rough, not to mention the X4M is endlessly cooler (you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise) and how often do you "really" need the added cargo space. Did anyone really buy an X3M to haul recliners all day long? Even those fit fine in an F98. Why does everyone hate the X4(M), it just doesn't make logical sense on any argument that's actually scrutinized. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, period!

If anything in my opinion, an X3M sets out the expectations that it's still gonna be a smooth ride, it's a BMW SUV. But with an X4M that expectation goes out the window, you expect this to be mean, aggressive and abusive on the senses. In that light, it delivers a 10/10 performance.

Personally I don't think there can be a more perfect application for the term "M SUV" than an X4M.

To be perfectly transparent, we own a GLC 300 off-road package, riding on smooth 19" rims. That's the family hauler, for me the X4M is my "fun time" when I go out alone.
Just to play devils advocate:

A more perfect application would be to just get an X4M Competition

Was my intention, but I live in Montreal Canada and that comp suspension was just a little too much on our shitty roads after driving them back to back... though I did get my x4m fully loaded including the M sport exhaust, seats, 21" forged grey rims, basically checked every single box off... it wasn't a cost thing, and I have ZERO intention of every bringing it to a track. It's my daily driver.
I wasn't aware there was a difference in suspension? I honestly thought it was exhaust, black pieces and a software speed bump.

But I definitely get it, in fact I am on the exact same boat as you except with the x3m as I couldn't afford the x4m lol
If I understood correctly from the technical chassis manuals, the comp not only has thicker sway bars (which increase rigidity on track, but do also increase) but also some sort of continuously adaptive damper mode unique to the competition variant. I'll try to dig up the PDFs and post some screenshots.
Ahh that's right the sway bars. If that's the case then I can see that. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #24
hernanipalma
Rep
Drives: X3M 20, Zl1 10, TTS

I really like mine but have to make it a bit louder...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #25
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [9.50]
Quote:
you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise...
Sorry, appreciate your enthusiasm. Enjoy your car, but I would not be caught dead owning an X4 of any type.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #26
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanipalma View Post
I really like mine but have to make it a bit louder...
What have you done to make it louder? So far, I'm just catless downpipes and looking to do resonator delete next.

However, I do like how quiet our cars are when gapping muscle cars. LOL
Appreciate 1