BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #1
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Is it easy to get into a locked G01/2 ???

I’m not sure if it is me who forgot to lock my car last night (I thought that they auto-locked anyway?!) but this morning someone has been in my car and left the glove box, the cubby tray below the light switch and the centre arm rest open and took (stole) a neoprene zip pouch for car park change (fuckers) and ¼ bottle of Creed Aventus (oh yeah, they knew what that was!).

There is no damage to the car and no huge loss. The car was unlocked this morning with the door on it’s first catch (not fully closed). One of my my wife’s colleagues, who has a 3 Series GT (only a couple of years old) has had his car entered three separate times now and items taken from inside, so I’m just wondering if our X3/4’s are easy to get into without setting off the alarm? I don’t have comfort access and my key is kept quite a long way from the vehicle!

Obviously, some low-life, parasitic, degenerate, oxygen thieves are sneaking around at night!

Keep vigilant if you live in and around the Woodford Green, Woodford Wells, and Buckhurst Hill areas...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I'd be very surprised if anyone could get in without setting the alarm off without the key, the car allegedly has a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system. I agree, if the car is left unlocked and the key isnt inside it should autolock after a period of time but it doesn't appear to do that, it will lock itself again if you unlock and dont get in within a short period of time but that doesnt help if you forget to lock it when you leave.

we had a scrote walking round our village checking car doors, in fact I believe it happens all the time, I caught him on my Ring Door Cam and CCTV, shared it with the police, he was apparently on a round village trip because there were a number of reports that night.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

That is bad luck, the auto lock only functions if you unlock car and don't open a door, I suppose it is designed for accidental button presses

Probably too late for you to see now but the connected app will show the time it was last unlocked or locked, I don't think there is a way to see past history though unless BMW concierge can tell you? That way you would know if you left unlocked or it was unlocked by the scumbag

*edit* On 2nd thoughts the time on app will probably update when a door it opened or closed so you may be none the wiser, at least it would give a time of the event though I suppose, would be nice if the app could send alert if car is left unlocked for a period of time
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Definitely a big security miss on BMW's part. Other brands have had this feature for a decade (even to the extent the use the ultra-sonic sensors in the car to check if you've left a child/dog in the car and won't lock if there is movement).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

On reflection I probably forgot to lock it! I have forgotten previously... distracted, carrying things, being talked to, thinking of other things...

The ironic thing is, there was a Disklok fitted and proper anti-ram posts across the drive, so stealing the car would have been tricky! As, has been said, probably chancers doing what they do best (good for fuck all else).

Thanks MarkyM for clarifying how the auto-lock works; I’d read about it previously but like many things, had forgotten how it worked! There’s a theme here... me forgetting things... must be getting old!

So, cameras next, then!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #6
Slashers 28th/61st
Stumpy
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M Sport

Sorry to hear of this Lux700...I don't have comfort access, but I still put my keys in a tin overnight even though it has been said on the forum that my19 key fobs are safe from electronic theft of the vehicle. But unfortunately for us law abiding people there is always someone hacking up another way to have easy access to steal the car or stuff within. After a break-in last year I have now installed cctv back & front which will trigger an alarm to my phone if there is movement. Also when I retire for the night I always look on the BMW App on my phone to check it is locked......what a world we live in.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
On reflection I probably forgot to lock it! I have forgotten previously... distracted, carrying things, being talked to, thinking of other things...

The ironic thing is, there was a Disklok fitted and proper anti-ram posts across the drive, so stealing the car would have been tricky! As, has been said, probably chancers doing what they do best (good for fuck all else).

Thanks MarkyM for clarifying how the auto-lock works; I’d read about it previously but like many things, had forgotten how it worked! There’s a theme here... me forgetting things... must be getting old!

So, cameras next, then!
Easy mistake bud. I've forgotten to lock the car a few times...need to get better at it! One night I even forgot to close the driver's window but luckily it was parked in my driveway!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #8
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand, nothing really happened to you, our family or the car

Recently I was with a friend with XC60, and after a while we exited the vehicle, he said oh, I forgot to lock the car, I just received a message about it". His car was quite basic, so I thought to myself, wtf... why a BMW doesn't have anything like that. As mentioned in numerous posts and threads, BMWs app sucks. Not the same look in Android and IOS, lack of functionality, lack of reliability :
      04-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #9
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

Sorta related...the alarm sounds if you Jack the car on one side so that both tires are off the ground.

But, again, it has to be locked to begin with!
Paul
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #10
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does Comfort entry auto lock when you leave the car, I had a Mazda 6 and my Mrs has a Mazda 2, with comfort entry you pressed the button to get in but as soon as you got out and walked away from the car it automagically locked..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #11
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Sorry about your experience. As others said, the silver lining is no ones hurt and your car is not damaged.

I have Comfort Access. If I remember correctly, the alarm is activated by locking the car. So maybe that's why the alarm did not sound when the intruder came in despite the alarm should be able to detect movement inside?

I have configured the outside mirrors folded when locked, which is a great visual clue that the car is properly locked.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #12
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:

So, cameras next, then!
Easily done I've forgot to lock it more times than I care to mention
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #13
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Does Comfort entry auto lock when you leave the car, I had a Mazda 6 and my Mrs has a Mazda 2, with comfort entry you pressed the button to get in but as soon as you got out and walked away from the car it automagically locked..
No option for that with comfort access either unfortunately, the car is smart enough to know when someone is inside so I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult for BMW to offer that?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Recently I was with a friend with XC60, and after a while we exited the vehicle, he said oh, I forgot to lock the car, I just received a message about it". His car was quite basic, so I thought to myself, wtf... why a BMW doesn't have anything like that. As mentioned in numerous posts and threads, BMWs app sucks. Not the same look in Android and IOS, lack of functionality, lack of reliability :
I like the sound of getting a message to remind to lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I have configured the outside mirrors folded when locked, which is a great visual clue that the car is properly locked.
Good idea re folding the mirrors.

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #15
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Cheers guys
Just watch out when its going to be frosty, I've had my mirrors freeze in the folded position if it rained the night before and theres water in the mirror mount area, the motors dont like it when they cannot open them, thankfully its getting warmer but something to remember for the winter
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      04-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Quote:

Cheers guys
Just watch out when its going to be frosty, I've had my mirrors freeze in the folded position if it rained the night before and theres water in the mirror mount area, the motors dont like it when they cannot open them, thankfully its getting warmer but something to remember for the winter
Keep a couple of disposable shower caps in the car during Winter time. If frost is anticipated, cover the mirrors in shower caps after you park the car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
I’m not sure if it is me who forgot to lock my car last night (I thought that they auto-locked anyway?!) but this morning someone has been in my car and left the glove box, the cubby tray below the light switch and the centre arm rest open and took (stole) a neoprene zip pouch for car park change (fuckers) and ¼ bottle of Creed Aventus (oh yeah, they knew what that was!).

There is no damage to the car and no huge loss. The car was unlocked this morning with the door on it’s first catch (not fully closed). One of my my wife’s colleagues, who has a 3 Series GT (only a couple of years old) has had his car entered three separate times now and items taken from inside, so I’m just wondering if our X3/4’s are easy to get into without setting off the alarm? I don’t have comfort access and my key is kept quite a long way from the vehicle!

Obviously, some low-life, parasitic, degenerate, oxygen thieves are sneaking around at night!

Keep vigilant if you live in and around the Woodford Green, Woodford Wells, and Buckhurst Hill areas...
With all respect you forgot to lock it ;-)

Why? Cos I did this :-) It happened the first time and I was SURE someone had done one of those key surfing attacks on it. Then I reasoned why they would go to such lengths to throw some shit around and steal about £7. So I bought a nest outdoor camera :-)

Then, surprisingly enough, I stupidly did the same thing again about 8 months later. However this time

a) I was able to rewind to the point where I forgot to lock my car and realise I was an idiot
b) I was also able to rewind to the little shits who came, didn't see that nice white Nest pod looking down at them, and do the same thing. The Police were very interested in the footage, which subsequently was used in a court case (along with their other charges of posessing offensive weapons blah blah) and they got suspended sentences. Better than nothing - at least next time they go down.

So yeah - if someone's gonna do a relay attack on your wheels, for sure they won't be after chump change.

Read the article it's quite cool -> https://eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf

Although now BMW kindly put the auto shut off in the key makes for a better life. Now if the b*stards really want the thing they'll do other nasty shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
With all respect you forgot to lock it ;-)

Why? Cos I did this :-) It happened the first time and I was SURE someone had done one of those key surfing attacks on it. Then I reasoned why they would go to such lengths to throw some shit around and steal about £7. So I bought a nest outdoor camera :-)

Then, surprisingly enough, I stupidly did the same thing again about 8 months later. However this time

a) I was able to rewind to the point where I forgot to lock my car and realise I was an idiot
b) I was also able to rewind to the little shits who came, didn't see that nice white Nest pod looking down at them, and do the same thing. The Police were very interested in the footage, which subsequently was used in a court case (along with their other charges of posessing offensive weapons blah blah) and they got suspended sentences. Better than nothing - at least next time they go down.

So yeah - if someone's gonna do a relay attack on your wheels, for sure they won't be after chump change.

Read the article it's quite cool -> https://eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf

Although now BMW kindly put the auto shut off in the key makes for a better life. Now if the b*stards really want the thing they'll do other nasty shit.
The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that I forgot to lock it. I live in a really quiet pocket and the odds of some scrotes coming along and trying car door handles on the particular night I forgot to lock it are very slim, but it clearly happened. So, now I’m already in the habit of checking the app or display key to see status each evening...

You’re absolutely right, if someone was going to the trouble of using a key relay or other device, they’d be planning to take more than my car park change and ¼ bottle of smelly.

I’ll be putting up a new flood light tomorrow and soon after, some CCTV. We’ve already got telescopic bollards across the drive and a Disklok on each car, so quite a few barriers to overcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #19
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

You can enable Auto-lock after "a few minutes of inactivity". Also, you can clock/unlock your car remotely from your phone too - BMW Connected APP. I do it all the time when I get my car washed - last 5 minutes so they can access the doors and trunk areas to wipe of water that accumulated in the sills. Our cars also have a Motion Sensor inside the car. Even if you lock and leave a window open by accident, which I have several times....If anyone sticks their hand in the car the alarm will go off - you can also turn the motion sensor off (like for me when my dog is in the car for short periods of time), by locking the car, then after 2 seconds clicking the LOCK button twice really fast. Then the flashing red light under the mirror turns solid red.
      04-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #20
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
That is bad luck, the auto lock only functions if you unlock car and don't open a door, I suppose it is designed for accidental button presses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
You can enable Auto-lock after "a few minutes of inactivity".
afaik, it is like MarkyM said.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #21
KevinAC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 (m)30i, 2015 F36

Quote:
Thank you for this discription, it made smile during a dull day
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      04-20-2019, 03:39 AM   #22
dejainc
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x30d

Happened to me before. I've set the car to auto fold mirrors on lock. Gives me the visual feedback and you can hear the motor winding the mirror back so it's another reminder that you have locked the doors.
Appreciate 0