BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Another Transfer Case Thread (DIY advice)

So last Sunday, I accelerated pretty aggressively to get around someone driving like a @*&%... I felt a little stutter/clunk and next think I know the triad of death popped up on the cluster.
4X4, ABS, & Brake lights came on, but went away after I turned the car off for an hour and restarted it. But throughout the week the lights kept coming on about every other time Ive driven it. So i'm going to assume the gear in the transfer case is close to being warped.
I amazoned a new actuator gear and it arrived yesterday. I plan on installing it myself tomorrow... looking for advice/tips from anyone who's done it before or is familiar with the procedure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3/ 98 BMW M3

there are step by step videos on youtube. i haven't had to do it, but it looks very straight forward
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #3
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30NFifty5 View Post
So last Sunday, I accelerated pretty aggressively to get around someone driving like a @*&%... I felt a little stutter/clunk and next think I know the triad of death popped up on the cluster.
4X4, ABS, & Brake lights came on, but went away after I turned the car off for an hour and restarted it. But throughout the week the lights kept coming on about every other time Ive driven it. So i'm going to assume the gear in the transfer case is close to being warped.
I amazoned a new actuator gear and it arrived yesterday. I plan on installing it myself tomorrow... looking for advice/tips from anyone who's done it before or is familiar with the procedure.
Here is the DIY you are looking for. Took me about 1.5 hrs to do when I got hit with the triad.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
dgeldart
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

This job is pretty straightforward.

BUT, there is another plastic gear (the white gear in the Bentley video shown at 5:48 into the video) that your black gear fits onto, and that white gear has been know to suffer stress cracks. I'd highly recommend that you replace that white gear at the same time. The part is not expensive, and while the job is straightforward, there's no sense doing it twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeldart View Post
This job is pretty straightforward.

BUT, there is another plastic gear (the white gear in the Bentley video shown at 5:48 into the video) that your black gear fits onto, and that white gear has been know to suffer stress cracks. I'd highly recommend that you replace that white gear at the same time. The part is not expensive, and while the job is straightforward, there's no sense doing it twice.
Never thought about replacing the white gear as well. The 13mm bolts are rusted on the subframe brace so I've only taken 2/4 bolts out. Maybe I'll order the white gear before i complete the job
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Update!

So i finally got around to finishing the transfer case gear replacement. Needed some extensions for the 13mm subframe bolts and a universal socket to get an angle at some of those stupid tori bolts holding the motor to the transfer case. Difficulty out of 10..10 being the highest id give it a 8/10. It was super annoying to get to those top bolts, especially if you don't have the right tools. Not to mention, i wasn't using jack stands or wheel chocks...I used the curb of my parking spot to lift the front end of the car up about 3.5 inches or so.

What killed me the most is that the damn gearwasn't really damaged or worn at all. There was a small spot shown in the picture that displayed some type of wear and tear but nothing crazy. I guess the lights came on for that week because the gear didn't catch on the spindle for half a second, triggering the lights to pop up on the dash.. Either way I put the near gear in and buttoned her all up. Shouldn't have to worry about the transfer case for the rest of the time I have the car. Thanks for all the tips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0