BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Retrofit Surround/3D View

Is it possible to retrofit (code) surround view and remote 3D view?

The option is only £500 extra in the UK, which suggests there is not a lot of hardware involved. The rear camera is included as standard, I believe the side cameras are already installed as part of the lane keeping hardware.

This would leave only the front camera? Or are there even more in the surround system?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #2
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Is it possible to retrofit (code) surround view and remote 3D view?

The option is only £500 extra in the UK, which suggests there is not a lot of hardware involved. The rear camera is included as standard, I believe the side cameras are already installed as part of the lane keeping hardware.

This would leave only the front camera? Or are there even more in the surround system?
There's a camera in each of the door mirror housings on surround view, you would need to replace the complete door mirror unit plus I think the rear camera is different

£500 is extremely cheap for what you get when new, I would reckon a few thousand to retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #3
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
There's a camera in each of the door mirror housings on surround view, you would need to replace the complete door mirror unit plus I think the rear camera is different

£500 is extremely cheap for what you get when new, I would reckon a few thousand to retrofit
I think the cameras in the door mirrors are the same as the ones installed for lane-keeping (which I have). Would you be able to photograph the camera lenses in your mirrors?

Where is the front camera located?

Does anyone have access to the BMW service documents on this system?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think the cameras in the door mirrors are the same as the ones installed for lane-keeping (which I have). Would you be able to photograph the camera lenses in your mirrors?

Where is the front camera located?

Does anyone have access to the BMW service documents on this system?
The lane keeping cameras are in the housing at top of windscreen, these are different to the surround view ones

The front camera is central between front grilles

Did you order the car new or was it already built?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I have the misfortune to replace a side mirror with camera on another car. Cost me over US$1000, which included the mirror assembly (a $970 before sales tax mirror with blind spot equipment plus the camera lens pre-installed), plus painting the mirror cap. This is only one single mirror:

Yes, chances are good that you will need a completely different mirror assembly too on the X3. This is not something that you want to do after market, might as well use the money as down payment for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #6
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The lane keeping cameras are in the housing at top of windscreen, these are different to the surround view ones

Interesting, in my land rover, the lane keeping camera was a down-ward facing one in the base of the wing mirrors. I find it hard to believe the windscreen cameras can be that accurate for lane keeping, given the height and the angle over the hood, they could only possibly see the lines several feet in front of the vehicle which would be inaccurate if cornering.

Having said all that, I found the lane keeping alerts in the BMW to be very hit-and-miss compared the Land Rover, which was extremely sensitive to veering over the lane line. So maybe it is the case after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:49 AM   #7
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Interesting, in my land rover, the lane keeping camera was a down-ward facing one in the base of the wing mirrors. I find it hard to believe the windscreen cameras can be that accurate for lane keeping, given the height and the angle over the hood, they could only possibly see the lines several feet in front of the vehicle which would be inaccurate if cornering.

Having said all that, I found the lane keeping alerts in the BMW to be very hit-and-miss compared the Land Rover, which was extremely sensitive to veering over the lane line. So maybe it is the case after all.
The Driving Assistant System got only the stereo-camera at the rear-view mirror, and 5 radar sensors (the middle one, and two in each corner of the bumpers front/rear), to play with.
If you have all the 360 view cameras hardware in your car, perhaps the factory made a mistake.
Double check your VIN at mdecoder.com and see if you have Parking Assistant Plus package, or not. SALAPA code i S5DNA.
You can also find out at realoem.com about the different hardware depending on SALAPA options for your car.
Over at https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ you can also find some technical information.

/n
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Front camera is between the grills, so you'd need a new front bumper.
Side cameras are in the mirrors, so you'd need 2 of those.
I believe the rear view camera is the same.

It would cost thousands in hardware, plus a bit of coding.
I don't think the wiring is there in the loom for the side view or front view cameras by default, so you'd have to add that wiring too i think.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It shows in the manual where the cameras are in top of windscreen, I suppose it reads the road in front to predict the change plus there are sensors around car

The cameras you describe in the Land Rover door mirrors are in the same place as my surround view cameras so it should be obvious if you have those, they're not hidden
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

btt
      06-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Trading you car in will be cheaper than retrofitting.

BMW has amongst the best surround views in the business. I experienced it when I had a G12 for a few days. Loved how much confidence it gave me in parking the car with millimeters precision. I was impressed by the overhead zoom on the nose as you inch close to an object in front.

I have specced it on my G01 for just £8/month
Appreciate 0