BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Deliberate2
Private
Rep
Drives: '72 2002 (RIP)

Reconditioned wheels

Friends, I am shopping for a set of OEM 19" (winter) wheels for an M40i and have come across businesses who sell what they call "reconditioned" wheels. What does that mean, and should they be avoided? If just a refinish, then no worries. But if they are reshaping bent wheels (if that can even be done), I would have concerns. What should I ask these people when I talk with them.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I've never heard of reconditioned wheels, are you sure they're not refurbished wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate2 View Post
Friends, I am shopping for a set of OEM 19" (winter) wheels for an M40i and have come across businesses who sell what they call "reconditioned" wheels. What does that mean, and should they be avoided? If just a refinish, then no worries. But if they are reshaping bent wheels (if that can even be done), I would have concerns. What should I ask these people when I talk with them.
Cheers.
You can reshape bent wheels within spec depending on the bend. My Wife's x1 has two bent wheels that where fixed. Depends on how bad the bend is.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate2 View Post
Cheers.
As others pointed out you can straighten bent wheels. But if the wheel was cracked and repaired, I wouldn't put it on my car.

Also, there are some businesses that sell copies of OEM wheels. For me, $200 or even $500 savings a set is not worth the risk that the products (probably made in China) aren't completely up to spec.

My calculus is simple: I bought a BMW. Everything about the car is expensive, even bespoke. I don't like it but I won't compromise my or my family's safety.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
As others pointed out you can straighten bent wheels. But if the wheel was cracked and repaired, I wouldn't put it on my car.

Also, there are some businesses that sell copies of OEM wheels. For me, $200 or even $500 savings a set is not worth the risk that the products (probably made in China) aren't completely up to spec.

My calculus is simple: I bought a BMW. Everything about the car is expensive, even bespoke. I don't like it but I won't compromise my or my family's safety.
Caveat emptor.

They're probably OK, but maybe not. Like the previous dude said you're dropping 10'ssssss of K US$ on a premium vehicle. Get some legit circles ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I've bought reconditioned wheels for an Audi A6 and a Honda Accord to replace bent wheels and had no problems with them. The finish matched my other wheels and they were true and round. For my Porsche Boxster I bought a used wheel on eBay and had it professionally straightened and refinished. For the Porsche it was because my original wheel was bent beyond what could be repaired, and none of the places selling reconditioned wheels had what I needed. I think the reputable wheel repair and refinishing outfits won't recondition a wheel that can't be safely repaired. How to tell if the place you want to buy from is a reputable company is the dilemma!
Appreciate 0