BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
drew_larson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 328d Xdrive

Only if it were to come to NA...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:28 AM   #24
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
I don't have emissions inspections for diesel vehicles.
Just because your county isn't checking emissions doesn't mean you're compliant. The point of the M40d is a Euro6d compliant high performance diesel, something the 20 year old M57 never will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:13 AM   #25
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

I wonder if it will realy hit the UK ? I have my doubts especialy when you look at the alpina version of the new X3 and the alpina 5 diesel S verison. They have lesser power in the UK than their EU siblings.

If they did release it in the UK then who would buy the alpina X3D in the uk... Surley they work together at the planning stage.

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #26
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored of Audi View Post
I wonder if it will realy hit the UK ? I have my doubts especialy when you look at the alpina version of the new X3 and the alpina 5 diesel S verison. They have lesser power in the UK than their EU siblings.

If they did release it in the UK then who would buy the alpina X3D in the uk... Surley they work together at the planning stage.
I reckon it will come to UK, The Alpina based on F25 had 345hp and you could still buy a standard F25 35D that had 313hp at the same time in UK, the new Alpina versions will have a bigger performance gap to the M40D (388 vs 326hp)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #27
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
I reckon it will come to UK, The Alpina based on F25 had 345hp and you could still buy a standard F25 35D that had 313hp at the same time in UK, the new Alpina versions will have a bigger performance gap to the M40D (388 vs 326hp)
That 388hp figure is for Continental models only with the quad turbo engine. The UK XD3 version will have 333hp and is twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:25 AM   #28
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
Quote:
That 388hp figure is for Continental models only with the quad turbo engine. The UK XD3 version will have 333hp and is twin turbo.
Thanks for info, I didn't realise that, do you know if the F25 Alpina version was lower as well in UK?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #29
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Spot on I have done a bit of research the two new X3d and 5 series Alpina models are less HP for the UK. I can't see Alpina being special enough in terms of the engine offering 20hp more. You would have thought there would be a 540d but I can't see it happening until the end of the model as it directly competes with Alpina 5 DS. You ain't going to buy an Alpina for x thousand more just for the chasis and suspension changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #30
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:
I don't have emissions inspections for diesel vehicles.
Just because your county isn't checking emissions doesn't mean you're compliant. The point of the M40d is a Euro6d compliant high performance diesel, something the 20 year old M57 never will be.
With respect to diesel in the US - only degrees of acceptance with respect to emissions.

The M57 meets all required standards for CARB and EPA with all systems intact.

I live in a state that doesn't require any diesel to be checked for compliance.

Doesn't change the fact that a M57 will out perform that car with a few bolt on's and a tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #31
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for info, I didn't realise that, do you know if the F25 Alpina version was lower as well in UK?
F25 XD3 was the same worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #32
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
F25 XD3 was the same worldwide.
Thanks I should have read further than CAR magazine, I wonder why the new model will be lower powered than the old version unless it is to comply with the new emission test?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #33
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I should have read further than CAR magazine, I wonder why the new model will be lower powered than the old version unless it is to comply with the new emission test?
I was told there was a problem with space on RHD cars and the 50d engine would not fit in ! probably not worth reconfiguring the whole car for the UK.

Only what I had heard

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #34
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was told there was a problem with space on RHD cars and the 50d engine would not fit in ! probably not worth reconfiguring the whole car for the UK.

Only what I had heard
Thanks, that makes sense, sorry what I meant in last comment was it is lower than the F25 version which had 350hp
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #35
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Only what I had heard
Yep, for the effort to reconfigure for RHD it's deemed not worth it. Same reason why M550d etc is not offered in UK.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Bring on the iX3

Put the damn diesel dinosaurs to bed already !
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #37
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
With respect to diesel in the US - only degrees of acceptance with respect to emissions.

The M57 met the required standards for CARB and EPA when it was being sold. It no longer meets the current standards which is why it was replaced by the N57 and now the B57.

Quote:
So let's ditch the emissions equipment because no one is going to bother checking?

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that a M57 will out perform that car with a few bolt on's and a tune.
So will the N57 and it came with the ZF 8HP, but it really doesn't matter since neither of them meet current emissions standards which is why BMW has the B57 in the M40d.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #38
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The M57 met the required standards for CARB and EPA when it was being sold. It no longer meets the current standards which is why it was replaced by the N57 and now the B57.

Quote:
So let's ditch the emissions equipment because no one is going to bother checking?

Quote:
So will the N57 and it came with the ZF 8HP, but it really doesn't matter since neither of them meet current emissions standards which is why BMW has the B57 in the M40d.
Correct - no one is checking, hence why the DPF and SCR are no longer attached. It magically fell off when I hit a pot hole.

If the M57 was no longer compliant, the state of California would not pass inspections today....so....that's wrong.

Every so often, BMW advances their motors and renames them. Otherwise, we'd still have the S54 in M cars...so, again - that's wrong.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 02:26 AM   #39
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Correct - no one is checking, hence why the DPF and SCR are no longer attached. It magically fell off when I hit a pot hole.
It's pretty clear you don't care at all about emissions standards, so this whole conversation is pretty useless.

Quote:
If the M57 was no longer compliant, the state of California would not pass inspections today....so....that's wrong.
But anyway, does the M57 in any form meet current emissions standards so that it could be sold in a new vehicle? We are discussing a new vehicle with the M40d, that's why this matters.

Quote:
Every so often, BMW advances their motors and renames them. Otherwise, we'd still have the S54 in M cars...so, again - that's wrong.
New engine architectures aren't renaming them, you can't bolt on parts and make the S54 an S55, they're entirely different architectures. There are updates and variations of each architectures and they get slightly different engine codes to signify the differences, that's the only "renaming" that happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #40
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

The question is will the exhaust note be even close to the M40i? For me 50% of the M40i attraction is the exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #41
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's pretty clear you don't care at all about emissions standards, so this whole conversation is pretty useless.

Quote:
But anyway, does the M57 in any form meet current emissions standards so that it could be sold in a new vehicle? We are discussing a new vehicle with the M40d, that's why this matters.

Quote:
New engine architectures aren't renaming them, you can't bolt on parts and make the S54 an S55, they're entirely different architectures. There are updates and variations of each architectures and they get slightly different engine codes to signify the differences, that's the only "renaming" that happens.
The fact remains...M57 is more capable for longevity and upside for power than any Diesel engine BMW has produced since.

Same with the N54 on the petrol side - these cars are holding 650 whp on stock internals.

And you confirmed my comment on evolution of the motors - you basically repeated what I said.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #42
ASBSECU E93
Rep

@ND40oz

OEM Rods from my M57 on the left and N54 on the right.

One of us actually builds these motors....
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #43
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Spot on I have done a bit of research the two new X3d and 5 series Alpina models are less HP for the UK. I can't see Alpina being special enough in terms of the engine offering 20hp more. You would have thought there would be a 540d but I can't see it happening until the end of the model as it directly competes with Alpina 5 DS. You ain't going to buy an Alpina for x thousand more just for the chasis and suspension changes.
I just been doing some more reading on Alpina XD3, they reckon they allocate 12 a year to UK so certainly room for M40D I would have thought

One interesting bit is Alpina have given the new WLTP testing figures for the new XD3 model, co2 goes upto 238 and mpg down from 42 to 31 mpg (this is for the UK spec engine) although they state in real world driving it will achieve same as old model

Be interesting to see how the BMW versions fair on same test, I know M40i figures will also drop but may be closer than we expect to M40D mpg
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
The fact remains...M57 is more capable for longevity and upside for power than any Diesel engine BMW has produced since.
Did you miss where we're discussing a new vehicle for sale now? That's all that matters here, something that meets current euro 6d emissions. I'm glad you're happy with the M57 sans emissions equipment, but people shopping the X3 M40d are looking for something that is emissions compliant and new.

Quote:
Same with the N54 on the petrol side - these cars are holding 650 whp on stock internals.
And thankfully the N54 came with more transmission options than the ZF6 but it never was available in an X3 either. It's a great motor, but just because I bought one 9 years ago, doesn't mean that's what I'd want to go out and buy in a new vehicle.

Quote:
And you confirmed my comment on evolution of the motors - you basically repeated what I said.
Nope, that's not what happened there at all. If you want to call the S55 an evolution of something, it's N54/N55, not the S54. The S54 and S55 are different architectures.
Appreciate 0