BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Tow Hook Plate Mount

For those of you interested, US Millworks now has these for 2018 X3's and M40i's.

I've been checking each day and today they finally have them.
Appreciate 1
kamek357.50
      03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

You beat me to it. Was coming on here to post it. I emailed a few times and they released them Thursday night. Ordered mine today!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 and G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
These just look bad to me. It's a car if your state requires the front plate put it on. Would you wear a tie and not center it up?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
skyblue2002
Private
Rep

The tow hook is on the far right of the lower center grill, right? Looks like the plate would block a sensor or part of the right intake (intercooler?) in that location...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Thats probably one of the worst analogies I’ve ever heard. A car is not clothing. And a license plate is not a fashion accessory. In lots of states this is a requirement.

The main purpose is to prevent drilling holes in an otherwise perfect bumper.

The design of these mounts has been tested to prevent interference with parking sensors. Read on the website to learn more. They are adjustable to accommodate sensors and intake areas. Already had them on 4 different vehicles all with pdc. No issues
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
EsquireKnight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Thanks, just ordered mine with the quick release.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Ive been scratching my head for a month on this. I think I finally get it. Buy all your BMW's same color, get the quick release, drive one at a time, and save on taxes, licenses, and insurance.
      03-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #10
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Ive been scratching my head for a month on this. I think I finally get it. Buy all your BMW's same color, get the quick release, drive one at a time, and save on taxes, licenses, and insurance.
Lol. Why just bmw? get the quick release for all your vehicles and friends vehicles and make it a framily plan.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 and G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
Thats probably one of the worst analogies I’ve ever heard. A car is not clothing. And a license plate is not a fashion accessory. In lots of states this is a requirement.

The design of these mounts has been tested to prevent interference with parking sensors. Read on the website to learn more. They are adjustable to accommodate sensors and intake areas. Already had them on 4 different vehicles all with pdc. No issues
In my opinion the off set plate mounts look worse than the center flush mount. The offset ones are not centered and stick further away from the bumper. Other options which look worse are the hidden ones. These bumpers are going to get rock chips. If you don't move from a front plate state to a state not requiring a front plate it will always be there. I guess I may be in the minority here but I even have a Euro OEM bumper installed on my M3 with the front plate so I didn't have the front reflections.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue2002 View Post
The tow hook is on the far right of the lower center grill, right? Looks like the plate would block a sensor or part of the right intake (intercooler?) in that location...
Mine (not millworks but very similar looking) doesn't trigger my parking sensors but does cover about a quarter of the intercooler vent. I'm not too worried as there is still plenty of airflow and this isn't a real air intake. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
heavensyu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40 2018 i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Quote:
Thats probably one of the worst analogies IÂÂÂÂ’ve ever heard. A car is not clothing. And a license plate is not a fashion accessory. In lots of states this is a requirement.

In my opinion the off set plate mounts look worse than the center flush mount. The offset ones are not centered and stick further away from the bumper. Other options which look worse are the hidden ones. These bumpers are going to get rock chips. If you don't move from a front plate state to a state not requiring a front plate it will always be there. I guess I may be in the minority here but I even have a Euro OEM bumper installed on my M3 with the front plate so I didn't have the front reflections.
Totally makes sense, I'm going for the OEM plate frame mount left in my trunk. I live in a state requires front plate and neighbor states also require front plate, it doesn't make any sense to have license plate removed and installed often. Other than OEM center mount looks better than tow hook mount, I can also use bump frame as a protection for my car, which is an essential gear for street parking.
Appreciate 1
ando2006.00
      03-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

I have US Millworks on my F32 and the look doesn't bother me a bit. So we will put it on the G01 when it arrives this week.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
I have US Millworks on my F32 and the look doesn't bother me a bit.
Especially when your driving it. Who cares what other people think? The asymmetry looks awful but you have no need to impress anyone. A level of maturity.
      03-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #16
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Especially when your driving it. Who cares what other people think? The asymmetry looks awful but you have no need to impress anyone. A level of maturity.
It doesn't look ugly to me at all when I look at it. I live in the garage. I don't have a life. I'll go home from work, grab a beer, go in the garage and turn on the stereo and stare at the F32 and the G01 like a mental patient.

Seriously. That is what I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't look ugly to me at all when I look at it. I live in the garage. I don't have a life. I'll go home from work, grab a beer, go in the garage and turn on the stereo and stare at the F32 and the G01 like a mental patient.

Seriously. That is what I do.
LOL, I’m just as bad, but very anal with the symmetry thing. And now after all this I just looked out the window at my Transit van, and by its nature the rear plate is mounted to the right side door!
      03-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #18
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL, I’m just as bad, but very anal with the symmetry thing. And now after all this I just looked out the window at my Transit van, and by its nature the rear plate is mounted to the right side door!
I do understand the symmetry thing. That is why I debadge all my BMW's such that there is only a Roundel in the center.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensyu View Post
Totally makes sense, I'm going for the OEM plate frame mount left in my trunk. I live in a state requires front plate and neighbor states also require front plate, it doesn't make any sense to have license plate removed and installed often. Other than OEM center mount looks better than tow hook mount, I can also use bump frame as a protection for my car, which is an essential gear for street parking.
the removal of the license plate (quick release) is if you take your car to car washes (which I don't know who would unless it's only option) and also when you're washing your own car...it's not for everyone.

Quote:
I have US Millworks on my F32 and the look doesn't bother me a bit. So we will put it on the G01 when it arrives this week.
I prefer the off set look...call me crazy

I also prefer not to have any mounting holes on the bumpers or plastics

Quote:
I do understand the symmetry thing. That is why I debadge all my BMW's such that there is only a Roundel in the center.
so you wouldn't buy a new land rover discovery?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
I live in a cuty where we basically all drive bumper cars, so the front plate is a welcomed additional layer of protection. As much as I love a clean front end, it's either front plate mounted center or no plate at all. I can't stand the offset look because it throws off the balance of the car. Just my personal opinion!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #21
EsquireKnight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
the removal of the license plate (quick release) is if you take your car to car washes (which I don't know who would unless it's only option) and also when you're washing your own car...it's not for everyone.
You hit the nail on the head. I had another offset tow hook plate mount (made by Stillen) for another car and because of poor design, the front plate became bent to hell from automatic washes. I don't like automatic washes, but sometimes convenience trumps everything else. The quick release speaks to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
I live in a cuty where we basically all drive bumper cars, so the front plate is a welcomed additional layer of protection. As much as I love a clean front end, it's either front plate mounted center or no plate at all. I can't stand the offset look because it throws off the balance of the car. Just my personal opinion!
I hear you. I've been pulled over 3 times on one previous car for no front license plate. it must be done sometimes....

idk, again I prefer the offset look. I think it gives it more stance and more aggressive look. everyone has center mounted plates with drilled holes in their bumper...have to do something different. after all, these x3 will be running around everywhere in the next 6-9 months lol.
Appreciate 0