BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2023, 05:50 AM   #23
Jolbex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

So generally....are Ali BOs worth some 400usd?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:32 AM   #24
pn82hhz
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530d MSport

At the moment - No.

But let me do a comparison (with newly added aftermarket amp) between the B&O and the OEM HK. I suspect the HK will be more than adequate with an amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #25
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn82hhz View Post
At the moment - No.

But let me do a comparison (with newly added aftermarket amp) between the B&O and the OEM HK. I suspect the HK will be more than adequate with an amp.
I can only assume that the fake B&O are not in line with the real ones then....

My experience is at total odds with yours. The genuine B&O under seats that I've fitted with HK offer more punch and are worth the money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #26
pn82hhz
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530d MSport

Well, in the end I got a 4 channel amp, used 2 channels to add some weight to the OEM HK underseat mid bass drivers and 2 channels to power a single 12" Alpine SWR1242d sub in a sealed box placed in the boot. Have got the HPF on for the underseats to direct punchy 80Hz bass and above to those and the LPF on the other 2 channels switched on pushing everything below 80Hz to the sub. Sounds unbelievable!

The beauty is that when boot space is required I simply unplug the connector to the box and switch the HPF filter off for the underseats. The amp does wonders to add extra grunt to the underseats!

I played with a 2 channel amp for a while with both HK and Ali B&O subs. The alpine was just way too harsh - got a lot of rattle. The Sony 4 channel amp is so much more smoother!

Very happy!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 03:54 AM   #27
fuzzytonic
Registered
Rep
Drives: Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee241 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum. My name is Jim. Nice to meet you all!.
Hey,
Your aliexpress link seems to be not valid anymore. Can you maybe give the product name as listed on aliexpress so that I can do a fresh search ?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:11 AM   #28
JayGee241
Rep
Drives: '17 F25 X3 M-Sport and '08 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzytonic View Post
Hey,
Your aliexpress link seems to be not valid anymore. Can you maybe give the product name as listed on aliexpress so that I can do a fresh search ?
Thanks.
Just search Bang and Olufsen BMW or B&O Bass BMW. You'll see a bunch of listings.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #29
DmytroArtym
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525d 2005

i bought defective B&O speakers for $25, repaired them and installed them in a bmw e60,

they sound much better than the original logic7. with an amplifier from f10 the bass is clear even at maximum volume, I think these are the best speakers that can be installed in a bmw, they have a large 63mm coil and a very hard hexacone diffuser such as eton uses in their speakers, now I use a modified logic7 amplifier from a bmw e60 that gives 200 watts each for low-frequency speakers, and the bass is very, very good

Last edited by DmytroArtym; 10-08-2023 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: add foto
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #30
toomanybims
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3, X3

The new link gives a list of generations and it doesn't include F25. Is there a substantial difference in fitment from G30 or F10 and the F25 (X3)?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 05:55 PM   #31
spaniard2010
Rep
Drives: 740i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee241 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum. My name is Jim. Nice to meet you all!

Alright, enough of all that. How do these sound? The difference is pretty dramatic. These drivers completely warm the sound of the system, and totally smooths out the low end. Bass became extremely precise and defined. You can make out walking basslines much clearly. Flea's iconic riffs from the Red hot Chili Peppers have body to them and you can make out the slight upper-treble from his fingering since it's not hidden by boomy midbass. Kick drums no longer sound like hitting a wet towel. They hit with a dry unapologetic "thud", sounding completely natural and crisp. You also gain almost an entire octave of sub-bass. These things dig as low as 35-40Hz with the stock H/K amp, and you can kick the crap out them all day without the amp breaking a sweat (those long drives demand only the hardest of house music). I run -1 bass and +1 100hz in normal mode, and +1 bass, -1 200hz, +1 1k, +1 5k, and +2 10k in Logic 7 mode. The system almost sounds like a mini Individual/EPS system from the M-cars with just less power in the tops. I have that system in my E92 and love it. This comes very close to it.

Installation:

Tilt the seats back, remove the grilles and the HK drivers. You will need to remove the black "Swiss cheese" grille off the drivers and remove the drivers from the cradle. Installing the new ones in the cradle assembly will require longer screws, and you will need to forego the black "Swiss cheese" brackets because the upgraded drivers are too tall for those to fit. Attach the adapter cable and fit the drivers back in place. The floor mounted grills will be put back without screws since they now have nowhere to attach with the grille delete. Not to worry, the seat rails will hold them in just fine. Put on your favorite test track, adjust the EQ and allow a few weeks of break-in for best sound when bought brand new.

Try them out! As far as I can tell, I'm the first to try this in any car. I even did a B&O midrange in the center, and that gave more intelligibility to vocals. So I'm still playing with drivers, but by far the bass was the best upgrade. Do share if you decide to give these a shot.
Jaygee, question,
I have an G12 7 series, the bang & Olufsen, do the drivers only fit in the current HK cradle or you must remove the HK cradle as well and install the one that comes with the BO? if so, are the screws aligned the same?
I was going to go with a pair of 2 Ohms earthquake + and audison 300W amp to improve the bass and hopefully clear up the sound a bit, but this simple plug and play solution maybe solve my problem with HK subs being so muddy. Thank s
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 07:45 PM   #32
spaniard2010
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau3er View Post
Carried this out today with a set of genuine (not replica) B&O subs and the difference is great.

Had to shave down the locating pin of HK wiring harness plug, as the the B&O orientation is reversed.

For reference, this was in a F31. However this thread is the only one I've really come across covering this retrofit and was very useful.

Hi Blau3er, congrats on your retrofit, I saw your other post detailing your amazing full retrofit. However, I am a no talented and no confident to do something so complex, in fact my question is about this simple switch of wooferes from HK to BO.

I can buy a used BO genuine woofers, if so, the connectors for the HK you say they are different from the connectors for the BO? Can I buy the cable adapter like the one they send form the Knock off in Ali express or I need to do something different? I could not find it.

I don't know much about electric stuff and your comment above: "Had to shave down the locating pin of HK wiring harness plug, as the the B&O orientation is reversed" I don't really know what it means. Can you help me understand please? By the way, this is for a 7 series G12.

After spending an entire week reading forums and lots of technical stuff, I was going to simply swap the HK woofers for 2 Ohms earthquakes and add an AudioControl ACM-2.300 2-Channel Micro Amplifier to power them, but this B&O woofer solution seems less cost, easier and it might just solve my problem, if not I can always try the earthquake option.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 09:28 PM   #33
spaniard2010
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn82hhz View Post
QUICK UPDATE:

Back in March I replaced both HK underseat woofers in my F10 5 series with B&O woofers bought from AliExpress. Sounded cleaner and had slightly better low end extension but some of the sound pressure/boominess had reduced (the bass that you can hear).

I recently added an aftermarket Alpine 2 channel amp to add some power.

RESULTS
Marginal gain. power it too much and you get significant knocking and rattling which I believe are the side skirts or worse, the drivers knocking into the woofer cover.
There is a sweet spot where you get that slight increase in power to give the bass more presence. Worth it for the cost of a second hand amp, some wiring and a harness I bought that fits between the OEM amp output and the plug delivering sound to all speakers.
IF I can bothered I will try it with a proper sub/box in the boot but really dont want to. I am happy.

Might do a comparison of the HK woofers with amp as well to see if it sounds better.
Is this the correct adaptor to connect from the vehicle cable to the B&O woofers?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0