BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2024, 01:20 PM   #1
sdamike
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 - gone

M40i owners running a Tune on 93 octane...and other performance/handling questions

I'm sorry if this question has been beaten to death, I have tried searching it but not really coming up with any great conclusions here.

But I wanted to ask / hear about any M40i owners who are running 93 Octane tunes, with a downpipe, and maybe other typical mods, how happy are you with it? What/who's tune are you using? Does anyone have any draggy results or 1/4 mile times you could share?

I'm seriously looking at a M40i but have about zero availability to E85 around here but good 93 oct. is everywhere, so I would be sticking to 93 only for a tune. Granted, I'm not looking for a drag racing machine, but I want it to feel fun/fast on the street, and on some highway on/off ramps lol.

Also in the sake of not making another thread, how is the handling on the M40i? Any need to change the springs or anything like that? I know its not the X3M, but does it hold its own fairly well?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:54 PM   #2
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Pretty basic here, 2021 M40i with a JB4 on Map3 - no additional mods, no DP, and I'm very satisfied. 2 previous cars had (a) downpipe(s), and they really opened up the cars.
The downpipe on the X1 with a JB4 was noticeable with the extra boost available even faster.
Even on the F10 550, with no tune, it unleashed the turbo spooling response and made a HUGE difference.

My M40i (tuned) feels just as fast as the 550 (no tune), at least off the line. Higher end acceleration in the twin turbo V8 is better of course.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:58 PM   #3
MagicJohnson
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3

I can’t speak to the first item.

I had to hustle to get to an appointment last weekend. That was the first time the car felt large to me. On throttle the sport diff creates a confident feel but off throttle I got a bit of the weeble wobbles while steering

Stiffness is fine with 20s and RFT IMO. I have no complaints about the ride height or wheel gap.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 03:17 PM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

alot of things you are asking about are relative.

speed and handling depends on what you are comparing it to. against its competitors on the market yes it is much faster and handles better. Against other 60-70k used sports car on the market no.

tune and dowpipe will get you just under 12.0 quarter mile. chasing power is losing game though. like riding the same roller coaster over and over it loses appeal quick.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 04:42 PM   #5
COM40
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I've had a long running debate with myself about tuning the M40i. The 'practical' side is winning but we'll see in a year or 2. It's extremely rare I find myself wanting for more power in the mountains - the deficit there is handling not power. And on the highway (which is where most speed traps are) I don't really want to get a ticket for going 25+ over, which means a mandatory court hearing in CO. And that's ridiculously easy to do even with the 'slow' 2019.

A coupe or sedan has inherently better handling but the M40i is good enough to have fun on a mt road and that's all that matters to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 06:26 PM   #6
vrships
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

BM3 stage 2 93. I have to pump about 4 gallons E85 each tank because we have the obnoxious California gas

The engine runs almost clean timings and DME reports back 640Nm and 475hp in 4th gear at best.

Dragy is 3.4 to 3.5s 0-60mph most of the time. Didn't have chance to do 1/4 mile.

And MPG is about as good as stock as far as I can tell if that's something you care too
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:41 PM   #7
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamike View Post
I'm sorry if this question has been beaten to death, I have tried searching it but not really coming up with any great conclusions here.

But I wanted to ask / hear about any M40i owners who are running 93 Octane tunes, with a downpipe, and maybe other typical mods, how happy are you with it? What/who's tune are you using? Does anyone have any draggy results or 1/4 mile times you could share?

I'm seriously looking at a M40i but have about zero availability to E85 around here but good 93 oct. is everywhere, so I would be sticking to 93 only for a tune. Granted, I'm not looking for a drag racing machine, but I want it to feel fun/fast on the street, and on some highway on/off ramps lol.

Also in the sake of not making another thread, how is the handling on the M40i? Any need to change the springs or anything like that? I know its not the X3M, but does it hold its own fairly well?
I also, have zero e85 close by.
I don't have any draggy or 1/4 mile times, but I do have MHD OTS stage 2 tune, with the MST intake, Bimmernetwork DP and TU HPFP. I'm at 70k miles. I'm pretty happy with straight line performance. I need to change out injectors to go 2+. The OTS 2+ threw some injector related codes on me but the regular 2 has no issues.

A custom tune would provide bettter performance. I may go with Westtuned for this. I have not yet decided.

I am about to bite the bullet on springs to lower and maybe refresh some bushings / upgrade to the X3M swaybars. I am running a 275/40/20 setup which I enjoy.

It definitely holds it own fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #8
MayorMcCheezel
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I wouldn’t call a tuned M40i slow.

Attached Dragy 0-100kmh [62mph], 27C [80F], Stage 2+ 93 Map + Running 93.

Gen 1 B58 with gapped plugs and running Full 98RON [93 Octane]

Mods at the time:

VRSF Downpipe
TU Pump
MST Intake
BM3 Flex Fuelhat install

It’s quicker on E30, I have E85 on pump about 3km [2 mile] down the road, but day to day run straight BP Ultimate. Basic Mods and tune will make it plenty quick.

If you want more upgrade the turbo and fuel system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #9
hermshk
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3M40i

Can't speak much to the first part of your question.

As far as handling goes here is another thread I posted the other day about the same thing
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105023

General consensus is that as far SUVs in this price range goes handling is about as good as it gets, maybe just short of Macan S.

An X3M40i will handle better Than some sedans as well, but it will fall short of cars like the M3 or M340i
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #10
sdamike
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 - gone

Thanks to all for the replies so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
alot of things you are asking about are relative.

speed and handling depends on what you are comparing it to. against its competitors on the market yes it is much faster and handles better. Against other 60-70k used sports car on the market no.

tune and dowpipe will get you just under 12.0 quarter mile. chasing power is losing game though. like riding the same roller coaster over and over it loses appeal quick.
I totally understand what you are saying. It's all very subjective. But, I have owned and been in other vehicles, that are quite fast, that don't feel that fast. Sure your accelerating quickly, but it can feel uninspired, sterile and just not that fun. I like getting pressed back in the seat and feeling like something is fast, more so then making sure I get to 130mph before someone else or having some insane top speed. (Granted, I do like to win the occasional race I may get into though, I mean, who doesn't lol)

Ive done alot of searching on my questions and I've watched a ton of youtube videos too, but it seems like 95% of them involve people running some type of ethanol blend and I was looking for input / results without that. (I know how much more aggressive tuning can be with ethanol so its not a good yardstick to measure with in this case)

Same goes with handling, I'm looking for fun, it doesn't need to set track records, but if it feels scary or handles terribly then maybe I should keep looking for other options.

From what I can tell the M40i seems to be in a sweet spot. A nice blend of everything. I'm mid 40's and not sure I want to be in something obnoxious, loud, and that rides like shit. I've been there and done that so with so many other cars now. I like the idea that I could take something like a M40i, have a blast driving it on the back roads on my way to our monthly costco shopping trip.

I of course have been doing the X3 M40i vs X3 M debate as well. Is the price difference worth it, do I want the harsher ride, worse gas mileage, higher insurance, but overall quicker vehicle? For a while I was thinking a used Sq7 maybe, but TBH the reliability scares me.
Appreciate 0