BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

On board HDD

Anybody know if it’s possible to upload music to the hdd? Reason I’m asking is i play my music via usb which means the cover has to remain open unless I buy a usb-c and use from center console. I have looked it up in handbookand it does mention about your music can be uploaded but I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Are you sure the car has a hdd?

You piqued my interest and I looked in the use guide and it mentions about the car being able to ‘store’ the track info and tracks for 16000 songs. But it doesn’t get info on how to transfer and I’m wondering if there is a mincing of words here.

The car can ‘read’ and display the track info, but it can’t ‘store’ the tracks themselves? This would seem a bizarre thing to do admittedly though.

Otherwise I would plug your storage device into the USB next to the wireless charger and then select ‘Media’ in iDrive and then select your device and then hit ‘Options’ to see what you can do with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:52 AM   #3
bilbabon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ix3

maybe it's stored somewhere in the cloud. Don't have car still so can't tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Anybody know if it’s possible to upload music to the hdd? Reason I’m asking is i play my music via usb which means the cover has to remain open unless I buy a usb-c and use from center console. I have looked it up in handbookand it does mention about your music can be uploaded but I have no idea.
Can you tell us where you read this? Which handbook? Which section?

I have looked through the Navigation, Communication, Entertainment handbook, and did not see any mention. However, it is a very generic handbook. It discusses CD and DVD. Six months after receiving my car I’m still trying to locate the slot for the CDs…
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 03:20 AM   #5
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I believe that the HDD was deleted from a number of BMW models a couple of years ago. Looking at other BMW forums, the options appear to be (a) use your phone or (b) load and use a USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

I just got a 64gb usb 2.0 with a tiny top that is just enough really to grab to remove. It sits next to the phone charger and you can barely see it. iTunes exporter Mac app exported all my playlists with cue files and artwork, etc. Tens of thousands of songs on hand. I prefer that to using a HDD as I can just take it with me to a holiday hire car.

Something like this…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ult...rs&sr=1-13
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Can you tell us where you read this? Which handbook? Which section?

I have looked through the Navigation, Communication, Entertainment handbook, and did not see any mention. However, it is a very generic handbook. It discusses CD and DVD. Six months after receiving my car I’m still trying to locate the slot for the CDs…
Yes you need to download the bmw drivers guide app and then enter your vin. It’s a very specific to your car and it does indeed mention about transferring music info up to 16000 tracks. I would assume there is an onboard hdd as how else does it have all the nav info.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Yes you need to download the bmw drivers guide app and then enter your vin. It’s a very specific to your car and it does indeed mention about transferring music info up to 16000 tracks. I would assume there is an onboard hdd as how else does it have all the nav info.
Once you have the Drivers Guide installed the quickest way to find the relevant section referenced is possibly to text search for and select 'USB Device' and this is discussed in the 3rd paragraph under 'USB Device' in my guide.

What it appears to do is load summary data for each track (up to 40,000 total/16,000 max per device). It does say it can take time to load the information but what it is evidently not doing is loading the actual music tracks themselves to play from the head unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:18 AM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Not tried it on the iX3, or on idrive 7, but if it's anything like it was on idrive 6 then, plug in USB, goto media, external devices, scroll down a bit in the menu and there should be an Import Music option, click that and should pull the media onto the internal device.

Music has to be MP3 or AAC. if I remember I'll see if its on my car, however would need to find some MP3's as haven't used em for ages now so not sure I even have any arou d any more 😂

Was curious.... So....

Plug USB in

Goto media

Goto Music collection, whilst on that header press options

Select manage music selection

Click Restore music collection from USB

It copies all the music over (in my case 1 MP3 file so didn't take long)

You can also see space available etc from that menu.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:38 AM   #10
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info. Can anyone confirm this is the case for msport pro. I’m currently abroad so can’t try atm
Appreciate 0