BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2024, 02:02 PM   #1
DmaxBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Piano Black Trim is so hard to maintain so I vinyl wrapped it

I'm sure this has been covered many times before, piano black trim is so hard to keep clean and scratch free, it marks so easily and in my view is a poor material for a centre console.

My previous BMW (4 series) had piano black trim that I wrapped with carbon fibre effect vinyl and I was quite pleased with the result, but that centre console piece is a pretty simple shape to wrap compared with the more complex design of the current X3.

Anyway, after a couple of hours, a lot of re-positioning and use of the heat gun, I'm very happy with the result.

The only compromise I had to make was up near the badge where I ended up with a surplus of vinyl due to the shape tapering in, I decided to trim it at the edge of the badge leaving a slice of piano black above and below, it actually looks OK in my view.

I bought a 2m x 0.4m roll of vinyl for about £12, I used about half of it as it took me 2 attempts to get it right.

See the pics below, I'm sure you will agree that it's a pretty cheap way to cover up that nasty trim that actually looks pretty good, and it is completely removable in the future if required.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
avi662798.50
Keefy1655.50
Lady Jane72265.50
BMWZ41914.00
R BMW950.50
ez31172.50
mct128i74.50
      03-30-2024, 02:14 PM   #2
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

...and that's a wrap, like it!
Appreciate 1
DmaxBMW42.00
      03-30-2024, 03:02 PM   #3
MADBMWX5MC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Well, you did a great job, Sir!
Appreciate 1
DmaxBMW42.00
      03-30-2024, 03:34 PM   #4
DmaxBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Well, you did a great job, Sir!
Many thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 04:01 PM   #5
MFschwifty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW M40i  [0.00]
I 100% feel your pain with gloss black center console maintenance. I'm at the point where I keep a 3oz spray bottle of griots interior cleaner and 6x6 mf cloth in my center box to religiously wipe it down LOL.

No one that sits in the passenger seat seems to mind even remotely as much as I do but it's a small price to pay to keep my sanity.

I applaud you my man, that vinyl wrap looks fantastic!
Looks really clean, awesome job.
Appreciate 1
DmaxBMW42.00
      03-30-2024, 04:09 PM   #6
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxBMW View Post
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, piano black trim is so hard to keep clean and scratch free, it marks so easily and in my view is a poor material for a centre console.

My previous BMW (4 series) had piano black trim that I wrapped with carbon fibre effect vinyl and I was quite pleased with the result, but that centre console piece is a pretty simple shape to wrap compared with the more complex design of the current X3.

Anyway, after a couple of hours, a lot of re-positioning and use of the heat gun, I'm very happy with the result.

The only compromise I had to make was up near the badge where I ended up with a surplus of vinyl due to the shape tapering in, I decided to trim it at the edge of the badge leaving a slice of piano black above and below, it actually looks OK in my view.

I bought a 2m x 0.4m roll of vinyl for about £12, I used about half of it as it took me 2 attempts to get it right.

See the pics below, I'm sure you will agree that it's a pretty cheap way to cover up that nasty trim that actually looks pretty good, and it is completely removable in the future if required.
Excellent work my friend, do you have a link to where you purchased the material?
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
DmaxBMW42.00
      03-30-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
DmaxBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Excellent work my friend, do you have a link to where you purchased the material?
I bought the vinyl off ebay, there are loads of sellers on there and I'm pretty sure they all sell pretty much the same product, if you search for "3D carbon fibre vinyl"
I've bought this a number of times over the years from different sellers and it's always been the same.

I've tried the glossy finish in the past but in my view it doesn't look as good as the matt finish that I've used this time.

If you are going to attempt this you do need a heat gun, it softens the vinyl for contours and corners. Also, it is hard to avoid some air bubbles and to get rid of these just prick the centre of the bubble lightly with a needle and heat it up with the heat gun and it will disappear before your eyes, as well as the small hole from the needle.

It does take some patience (as you often have to peel it off and start again) but you quickly get the knack of it.

BTW - It may be obvious but you need to remove the trim from the car to do this. It's pretty simple with a plastic (thin wide flat) trim removal tool pushed below the trim at the sides near the armrest end. It lifts up quite easily and if you work forwards all of the clips can be quickly released.

Last edited by DmaxBMW; 03-30-2024 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 05:58 PM   #8
Piki
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

I PPF'd mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:23 PM   #9
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep