BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #1
BrentCOS
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Check engine light

Check engine light is on (2021 X3M non Comp with 22k miles, running RaceChip for 1k miles). But in the System Status screen it's showing no issues. Why wouldn't the check engine issue show up there?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:20 PM   #2
BrockDM
Major
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentCOS View Post
Check engine light is on (2021 X3M non Comp with 22k miles, running RaceChip for 1k miles). But in the System Status screen it's showing no issues. Why wouldn't the check engine issue show up there?
Engine codes are not stored in the iDrive, only malfunctions are. You need to scan the car via OBD.
      02-04-2024, 12:36 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Dttto above. The CEL malfunction light is associated with the vehicles emissions systems (air pollution) and is a requirement in every car due to the 1996 OBD II federal mandate.

BMW’s system status and check control alerts are completely different systems. Again, the CEL/OBD II system is a federal mandate and must meet a standard that is shared across all car manufacturers and must be able to pulled up using a generic scanner/reader and have codes that are also the same as all other car mfgs.

See the 3rd & 4th bullets in the info below…and you can also check your owners manual’s explanation of the Check Engine light.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-04-2024 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 12:45 PM   #4
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentCOS View Post

could be 02 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
GildaStofmnd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

The same thing happened when I had the Racechip GTS Black in my Porsche Macan GTS. I spoke with someone at Racechip; they believed it was a programming connection issue. They told me to do the following. After unplugging it, leaving all windows, hood, and doors unlocked with the driver's door open and interior dome lights off, leave the keys inside the house, away from the SUV overnight. This ensured the SUV went into complete sleep mode while in my garage. I redid the installation the following day, and the light disappeared. All was good after that. I used the Racechip for a year or two until I traded the Porsche for the X4M Competition. I sent the Racechip back to them, and they did what they needed so that I could use it in the BMW. Follow the exact instructions provided earlier. It's probably excessive, but it's worth doing this once rather than dealing with a light on the dash and the hassle of getting to the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:16 PM   #6
BrentCOS
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Update: I brought the vehicle to my shop and they hooked up their fancy code reader. They said the code was related to the cold idle (something like that) sensor but was triggered by extremely cold temperatures we experienced recently. They cleared the code and all is well. 😎💪
Appreciate 1
ttx3m377.50