BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2024, 07:08 AM   #1
oasisdent
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

New car battery range

Hi

I've had my brand new 24 plate IX3 a week. I absolutely love it.

Ive noticed however the maximum range of the battery on the dash at 100% charge is stated as 214 miles.

This cant be right? or am i being thick and missing something obvious? its my first EV so . . . !
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 02:35 PM   #2
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hello,

From memory I had a similar figure when I collected my car new. It might still be calibrating and you may find the figure increases after a while?

Lots of variables can impact range, this includes driving style, traffic conditions, programme change using Driving
Experience Control, climate and terrain conditions, settings of the automatic air conditioning, after a route has been calculated by the navigation system, depending on the route profile, the route length and the selected speed and when leaving a route or recalculating a route.

The BMW Guide in the MyBMW app has a useful section titled “Increasing the range”. Another feature that helps increase the range is the level of regenerative braking too, which can extend your range figures further over the length of a journey.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine rarely says anything above 200, however yesterday's trip of 175 miles left me with 29% battery and a range of around 250 miles. Whilst driving it changes all the time, and quickly updates so I wouldn't worry too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 04:37 PM   #4
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Apply the same logic as you probably did with your petrol or diesel car - I bet you never paid any attention to the calculated range; more so that you had half a tank of fuel or the like.

It’s a range anxiety thing - the best thing to do is to have on display the miles per kWh gauge. If you’re averaging about 3.8 then that’s the 280 or so published range. In the warmer weather with the right kind of driving you’ll get over 4, in the winter with a heavier right foot it’ll be 2.5.

And if you’re not regularly expecting to drive over 200 miles in a day it’s not big deal anyway.

For reference when fully charged and in the warmer months, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 245, it’s typically around the 200 - 220 mark.

Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 05:12 AM   #5
oasisdent
Registered
Rep

thanks for the replies guys
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 02:28 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I'm doing mostly local journeys. Typically get 200-220 in summer, and about 180 in winter.

If you are going on a longer journey, programme your destination into the sat nav, even if you aren't using the instructions. The car recalculates your vehicle range based on anticipated road type / speed / terrain.
Appreciate 1
ThreeXi73.00
      07-08-2024, 12:20 AM   #7
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

It used to be known as “the guess-o-meter”.

I try to estimate range by taking the SoC (number of kWh in battery) and multiply it roughly with my longtime average consumption (in my case 5,4 km/kWh). Round down in winter and up in summer works out reasonably well.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 01:48 AM   #8
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I'm doing mostly local journeys. Typically get 200-220 in summer, and about 180 in winter.

If you are going on a longer journey, programme your destination into the sat nav, even if you aren't using the instructions. The car recalculates your vehicle range based on anticipated road type / speed / terrain.
This is spot and the same figures I get. I didn't know the sat nav trick. Thanks
Appreciate 0