BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2024, 03:57 AM   #1
UN0W3N
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d (F25)

Garage List
Unhappy Something's wrong with my throttle pedal

I noticed something troubling today. I seem to have a very weird throttle pedal compared to the standard X3 F25 setup. I called the previous owner and he told me that might have been "an official BMW modification requested by an impaired/disabled person". Please take a look for yourselves and let me know what you think.

I consider the throttle pedal too small and would like to replace it, if not revert to the standard method in which the throttle is placed on all X3 models.

It really bothers me that I didn't realize this sooner and I wasn't informed by the car's former owner which isn't disabled either. Also what is this box highlighted by the Green Arrow? It sure isn't something that should be this exposed near my feet, right?

This is how I understand the throttle should have looked like for a normal person...

I'll be taking the car to a mechanic tomorrow anyway, but I'd appreciate your thoughts as well, since you're a community of X3 enthusiasts and owners with more experience than the two weeks I've been driving this car. I don't want that shoddy throttle pedal to somehow affect my ability to properly accelerate or God forbid somehow restrict the car's performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
pobrienny
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 530e

The device where the green arrow is pointed is the Accelerator pedal position sensor, which is what tells the ECM how far your pressing on the pedal. It is normally built in to the pedal that you showed as the “normal” pedal. It should be easy to replace and install the as-designed pedal, as long as they didn’t damage the original mounts and wiring.
Appreciate 1
UN0W3N13.50
      05-28-2024, 01:34 PM   #3
mwat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm trying to think what medical issue would cause the need to have the pedal this way... interesting.
Appreciate 1
UN0W3N13.50
      05-29-2024, 01:53 AM   #4
UN0W3N
Romania
Rep

Garage List
I appreciate your replies. Indeed, I've ordered a new throttle pedal (the standard design for all F25 models) and I'll have that improvisation replaced ASAP. I knew I should expect hidden "quirks & features" when buying a used car, but that sort of unmentioned modification went beyond my imagination...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 12:37 PM   #5
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [9.50]
I recommend inspecting ANY vehicle before purchasing, if the seller seems to rush you, its a red flag.... pretend you are buying a house when looking to buy car(s), inspect every single compartment, interior and exterior, underbody, the roof, under the carpets, etc, if you feel rushed by the seller, walk away and don't look back... once you buy a commodity, it's yours, and YOURS to maintain, which obviously won't be FREE... all the best. Enjoy. Spend your money, you can't take it with you.
      05-30-2024, 02:03 AM   #6
UN0W3N
Romania
Rep

Garage List
Words to live by, slowblackx3f25!

The guy didn't exactly rush me, though he did give me the impression that he didn't know that much even about the car's officially fitted features. The throttle pedal was really something which I missed noticing since I didn't know how the X3 standard throttle pedal should look like. And I couldn't imagine such a modification would not be mentioned by a seller/car dealer.

My first BMW is this X3 which I have been driving for less than three weeks at this point. And the seller's "excuse" is that the price was pretty low to begin with. That's why I am willing to let this slide on his part. No engine issues though I am replacing the timing chain as a precaution (N47T engine, as I understand it should have fewer timing chain issues than the previous N47).

Last edited by UN0W3N; 05-30-2024 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0