BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #133
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWales View Post
Wish my insurance was that cheap. I pay ~£1500 for my new X3 in London. Though of course my problem is I am a stinky filthy foreigner with only two years UK driving experience. Never mind the previous 34 years experience in Australia without a single claim! Though was pleased when I changed cars from a 2018 X1 to the X3 the cost difference was only £150.
Gotta ask - how come JimmyWales, location Wales, insures car in London
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:27 PM   #134
JimmyWales
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Gotta ask - how come JimmyWales, location Wales, insures car in London
Ah see I am actually an Australian. Originally from New South Wales hence the name, living in London for a few years!

Could have confused things and called myself JimmyNewcastle because that’s where in New South Wales I’m from.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:32 PM   #135
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWales View Post
Wish my insurance was that cheap. I pay ~£1500 for my new X3 in London. Though of course my problem is I am a stinky filthy foreigner with only two years UK driving experience. Never mind the previous 34 years experience in Australia without a single claim! Though was pleased when I changed cars from a 2018 X1 to the X3 the cost difference was only £150.
I think location rather than nationality is the key factor here. London is becoming a higher and higher risk place to insure a vehicle, £1500 is however eye watering, be grateful it’s not a Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:51 PM   #136
JimmyWales
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I think location rather than nationality is the key factor here. London is becoming a higher and higher risk place to insure a vehicle, £1500 is however eye watering, be grateful it’s not a Range Rover
Central London is an issue for sure (my insurer made me get a Thatcham tracker to insure it for theft) but a major factor is that when we foreigners change to a UK licence we are considered new drivers in insurance eyes. Even though of course they recognise my Australian no claims rating so they are having a go both ways.

And indeed about Range Rover. That’s what my wife wanted to buy I was lucky that they are next to impossible to insure here so she accepted the X3 as second best. I personally think it is a far better car for London than a Range Rover.
Appreciate 1
MJE60713.50