Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Germany is going to take it in the shorts big time.
Why? The world isn't quite ready for EVs, except for a few markets.

If you come up with a new EV into a saturated market, it won't sell well, and you won't recoup your R&D costs. So as always it's a question of timing, and certain brands are betting on different strategies and release timing.

Ford won't sell a ton of EVs in the middle of the US, so they're not rushing. GM rushed with the Bolt, and sales are dismal. BMW bet big time with the i3, and it flopped, so now their plan B is to come up with the 2nd gen a bit later when the market is more mature. Audi is more upfront, Benz more conservative like BMW.

We'll see who takes the lead eventually, bombastic statements aren't enough to move product in sufficient, profit making quantities.

My money isn't on any specific horse in this race. They will all feel and drive the same, so why bother with any specific brand other than incentives/rebates/lease rates.
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined
Exactly!!

We had a Lexus hybrid while back and the whole concept didn't make sense in the real world.

I don't think the BMW versions fair any better.

However the 48v or 24v options as in Mercs make sense if you do it particularly for torque filling from performance aspect. It also runs their advanced adaptive suspension on the GLE etc.

But to use the hybrid for better mileage or anything else is a waste of resources.

GM etc didn't fare as well simply because the whole infrastructure & eco system wasn't developed from the ground up like Tesla did.

We have a Tesla and what that car does, I wouldn't trade it for anything else simply because there isn't any other option like it.

Now when the Model Y comes out, it's going to outsell almost every other vehicle in its price range because Tesla has proven the concept works.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa314.50
///M TOWN16304.50