Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
No no no don't gut it. That's worse for flow. From my friend Mike Kojima's(Motoiq.com) Honda/Acura Engine Performance book:

"Hollow Cats- Whatever you do do not remove or hollow out the catalytic converter of your street car. A hollowed cat can actually hurt horsepower as the empty box can cause flow stagnation, which effectively shortens the length of the moving gas column in the exhaust pipe. The empty box can also reduce important flow velocity. This is usually felt as a loss in bottom end power, although power throughout the range is affected."

What you need to do is get the straight UR pipe and sell the one you have to me. (I'm serious)
The cat is tiny. It's smaller than what's pictured for it on their site, below. It's about an inch in diameter wider than the rest of the DP and it's short, like maybe 6 inches at best. Barely a bump in the pipe. It's not gonna hurt a thing. Trust me. A stock cat, maybe, this here, no.