View Single Post
      02-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #14
Donny_1962
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeuk View Post
Ordered, I have a carbon black M40i so will look very nice. Thanks for the heads up on the discount code. Could you show a pic of underneath and the screws and tape you used?
Hi Luke,

I just used VHB tape/Screws from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-HitL...079138&sr=8-11

As long as the crews were pan head and approx 12-15mm long, plenty on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-ma...PFSPRF0FK&th=1

I just mounted the tape along the full length two strips, with a bit extra at either end, due to the curves. From my experience of Maxton they have all fitted perfectly first time, no filing or rubbing down (unlike a lot on Ebay)

My simple one man method:
They are awkward due to the length to be fitted by one, method i have used (saves getting ramps out etc)
1. Remove Maxton sticker, a bugger to get off later.
2. Place VHB tape on, leave backing on.
3. Using even, two piles of books (wood etc) a third in each side.
4. The height should be just below (-20mm) finished fitting height with the splitter on top of the books.
5. Position directly below finished position, with a pencil mark a mark on centre of bumper and splitter., makes lining up easier later.
6. Remove splitter, take tape backing tape off.
7. Reposition splitter, making note of centre, so all you need is a small 10-20mm lift to correct final position.
8. go along underneath splitter, pressing splitter to bumper.
9. Use drill for pilot holes, I used 12, holes about 25mm from back edge of splitter. Original bumper overlaps Maxton, so no issue.
10. Use self tappers.
11. Took about 45 mins all in.

Obviously only to used if you have a few unused books lying around...don't use the wife's books, it gets you in trouble if she notices's
lfdal541055.50