View Single Post
      01-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #41
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Decided to go with the full synthetic Liqui Moly Top Tec 1800 ATF, recommended for our ZF 8HP 45 tranny. I chose not to change the pan and filter for this first phase (partial ATF replacement).

I first drained and measured the original ATF liquid from the pan. About 4.5 liters came out, and viscosity seemed thin/watery with a greenish black tint to it. It did not smell as nasty as typical Mercon or Dexron ATF's I have replaced in the past on my other vehicles, so chemical composition is definitely different with the ZF-approved ATF's.

The drain bolt is plastic and has a weird ratchery fealing in the first couple of threads as you loosen it, or you finish tightening it up, then it locks. Even though it's not designed to be re-useable, such as the the pan, I was very careful not to strip it, or damage its embedded o-ring.

To save time and anxiety, I did not want to deal with a running car over my head, and temperature readings which you are supposed to do, and I followed for my other cars in the past.

So to ensure I inject the same volume of ATF (4.5 liters) back into the pan, I ended up going ghetto style - I tilted the vehicle on its side, to have the fill hole higher off the ground than the rest of the pan, which allowed me to force-feed exactly 4.5 liters of fresh ATF back into the pan.

Been about a week, and so far so good. Did not notice an immediate and striking difference in driveability. My X3 35i had 108,000Kms when I bought it. Ive read several recommendations for our tranny is an ATF + pan/filter replacement at every 100,000Kms. Rather be on the safe side, and call me anal, but I drop and fill all liquids on any pre-owned cars I buy, and I intend to keep for a while, or even resell more easily. I keep all bills for my maintenance records.

Will probably proceed to phase 2 (pan/filter + ATF fluid replacement) in the next 1000-5000 Kms, to try to get to most of the old-new blended ATF fluid circulating into the system (piping, radiator ,etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
Funny, i will be doing the "ghetto style" refill also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
I made some ramps out of 2x10 boards stacked on top of each other. put them on left side and drive up on them.
On second thought, the fill hole is towards the back of the transmission and vehicle. It would seem that if you reversed the car onto ramps - raising the rear of the car - you would be able to achieve the same result instead of tilting the car on one side?
Appreciate 0