View Single Post
      03-04-2024, 08:34 AM   #74
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I think you not recognizing how amazing upper 20a out of a beast like that in those conditions is a bit misleading.

Our Expedition gets 21mpg highway. In flat ass Florida at 80or somon the highway. A diesel suburban getting 50% more mpg is nuts. And Expedition is the duel economy champ in that class other than the diesel.

We strongly considered diesel Tahoeburban but didn't for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is GM's idiotic packages. I wanted an RST with all the options. I hate chrome and shiny metal like that, and wanted it blacked out. RST blacks it out but doesn't offer critical features like cooled seats, and for a long time didn't offer radar cruise. Pre ier offered the options but no blackout package, and a kinda old person interior. We could have gone GMC Denali, but didn't like the styling on those as much. Reason 2 was how insane diesel prices were. Despite the fuel economy gains, it was never going to break even vs regular unleaded at 21mpg. Diesel prices have come down some since then, so maybe there's a cost effectiveness now, I haven't looked.

Reason 3 that wasn't as big a deal was how tall the hood was. It was taller than my wife. She didn't like that. I'd have thrown lowering springs in, but Expedition had a much lower hood and an overall more cost effective package for us, so we ended up.withba loaded limited stealth.

This was exactly my situation and I "settled" for the RST. I wanted it blacked out but then gave up the active suspension and other features that were not available on that trim. The main reason I chose the diesel was the towing characteristics and mileage. It tows better than the 6.0 ltr 3/4 ton Suburban gasser I had previously.
Appreciate 0