View Single Post
      11-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

If you're going to buy used IMO you'd be very smart to pay an independent shop/mechanic to perform a detailed pre-purchase inspection. For that X3 w/120K, I'd want that and would hope the prior owner(s) could provide detailed service/repair records - CARFAX is not the best source for this information. If the car was BMW Dealer serviced (or wherever) then you want to see the detailed shop records.

All cars have their quirks and 'weak points'. IMO it's bit of a misnomer to tag BMW cars as 'high maintenance' or 'unreliable' vehicles. However they are performance cars and are less forgiving when regular service is neglected - one must pay attention to preventative maintenance items or one WILL be in for potential trouble.

Shocks and struts wear out in any car, so not unusual to expect them to have to be replaced. However, BMW uses designs that incorporate fluid-filled bushings in certain parts of the suspension - that's how they achieve a nice blend of performance and very smooth/supple ride....these type of bushings wear out a bit sooner than what one might find on another vehicle; the part is not often all that costly, but the installation labor can be.

BMW did away with providing owners with 'maintenance schedules' years ago; they've gone completely to 'conditioned based maintenance' (CBS)- cars have sensors and built-in algorithms in the car's numerous computers that compute when the car is due for service. They tout 'lifetime fluids' (transmission, differentials). What is a 'lifetime'?....some will say it's when the car's warranty runs out. I bet that fluid in the transmission of that X3 w/120K miles has never been changed - personally I'd not likely touch the car if only for that reason alone if I'm planning on keeping the car for the long term, say past 150K miles.

Whatever you come up with for serious prospective cars, seek one that has comprehensive service/repair history AND have the car inspected by a mechanic - that may cost $150 but it is money in the bank on one of these German cars.

I've never owned a BMW w/turbo engine, so I'll leave it to others to comment on that aspect. In my estimation a turbo adds to the complexity and thus reliability/maintainence is potentially negatively impacted- but that's not a statement based on personal experience.
Bill
Good Luck/Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 11-11-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
________4157.00