09-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #52453
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Question for the collective here.

I need input. Coming home last night, it was after 9:00 p.m., I'm making my way up the hill to my house and one of my neighbors runs out in front of my car. Literally ran full sprint to jump in front of my car; I almost hit him. I roll the window down and he begins yelling at me at the top of his lungs to slow down. Speed limit is posted as 20, everyone drives around the 30 mark. He is going absolutely ballistic screaming at the top of his lungs about how his kids play in the street and if I hit one "It will be the least of my worries" whatever that means? I was nice and apologetic and told him I was sorry and that I would slow down. He continued screaming at me and then told me "Now get on outta here" (I'm from TN). This is where I got pissed off. My actions last night were based around being a bigger person, understanding his point of view and trying to defuse the situation by apologizing. I felt that getting back in his shit would only escalate the situation and just piss me off further.

My point of view is that no one's children should be playing in the streets. Rather than attempt to keep his kids out of the street, it's easier for him to yell at motorists for....driving in the street at acceptable speeds according to him I suppose.

This has eaten me alive today. I honestly feel like I should have just put my car in park and beat his ass right there.

I drive by this "undesirable individuals" home multiple times a day. I have no intention of slowing down at this point. I will be mindful, as always, of children present; but this is the road I live on and feel that I drive at an acceptable speed. Due to my decision to continue to drive however the hell I wish (as long as I'm not endangering anyone) I expect this to become an issue again, very soon.

Without all the "you should slow down for kids" replies that this will get (I have kids as well and keep a watchful eye of kids in my neighborhood when driving so this is a moot point) what are ya'lls opinion of this situation?

My game plan is to continue to do what I do. If he doesn't jump in front of my car again, no issue; I go on with life. My question is, if he jumps in front of my car again, how would you handle this?

Go.

I'm a bit late to this party, but here is how I would handle this based on my experience:

1) Go the speed limit in a residential area. 30 in a 20 is 50% over the speed limit. When I was a kid, I saw a neighbor kid get hit by a car in killed in the street in front of my house. The driver was devastated. I've always just gone the speed limit in residential areas because of my personal experience. I've never felt that slowing down has cost me any appreciable time at all.

2) I would never react to a crazy person unless I was protecting myself or others against harm. Crazy people are crazy. Reacting to one is equally crazy. I don't think showing a crazy person how tough I am is worth permanently affecting my life by me making a bad choice.

In summary, I'd slow down and ignore this guy, or wave and smile as I go by his house if I saw him out.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13157.00