View Single Post
      08-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #212
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
In corners it will overdrive the outside rear wheel to provide better cornering. You sort of have to be driving hard to really notice it. For regular driving I doubt it will make much difference at all. That's been my experience with similar systems from other manufacturers.

I'd say it would be nice to have if you corner like a mad man. Otherwise you probably won't miss it.

Adaptive suspension, on the other hand, is something you will appreciate all the time.
That is, "all the time" until you have to replace the fantastically expensive, OEM-sourced-only electronic shocks, sensors and other suspension detritus that northeastern winters eat for breakfast.

My wife's 30i exists because the adaptive suspension on her 2012 Volvo XC60 was eaten away by 60K miles (five Boston winters). Cost to replace? $6K. I took that and bought her a nice, but sober, 30i (ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, and more) without the shockingly expensive adaptive suspension.

Using the same logic, I passed on the adaptive suspension and, because I don't autocross SUVs, the LSD on my to-be-built-in-two-weeks M40i. Saved enough to keep the MSRP with other options to just over $65K.

Sure, it's gotta be nice. But considering that every revolution of the wheel is force-injecting salt brine into the suspension for nine months of the year, it's a pass.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0