11-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Yeah I saw someone posting these for the X3M on here. Its 3D printed meaning once it gets hot it will deform. All it takes is a blow dryer to completely deform basic 3D printed material. In the summer months I dont see how this is going to last. But most definitely keep us updated. If someone comes out with this option that is proven to last I would be interested.
I'll have to look into that. only had a couple 80* days since install and obviously didnt affect anything yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Would having an air scoop in front like that risk sucking in water from rain/splashes?
no. put simply, it's not directly connected to the intake track. the scoop directs air into a tube of sorts (you saw the opening above)and its not completely solid. and that dumps into the opening for the air box. now the stock airbox has a panel filter that's higher than the opening so even if steady water was shot into it via a hose it'd just pool and leak out of the box. if the flow managed to be larger than then it's remotely possible. but to make that happen you have to be driving through standing water at grill height. on an aftermarket intake there is no real lower part of the box and as such it can't be trapped and will flow down the engine bay inner fenders.