View Single Post
      12-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Bottom line for warranties, like any sort of insurance, is that it is always priced to make money for the insurance company. That is why they are in business. And knowing the odds for a failure (probably better than you could), and the real cost of fixing, they price it accordingly. So it seems like, if you have the resources saved to pay out of pocket for any failure, then you should avoid the warranty and just "self insure".

Only flaw in this argument would be if the auto company inflates the cost of parts so much for repairs that they can really jack you at that time. I know this is somewhat true, but have to hope that overall competition keeps that somewhat in check.
Agreed. But after having owned a recent model year luxury vehicle of another German brand that happened to have thousands of dollars of repairs after the 4 year/50K warranty expired, I'm not taking any chances. After that warranty expired, an oil leak had to be fixed, a radiator components failed twice, the passenger side power-folding mirror failed, and more. And that all added up to over $3K in dealer repairs. Sure, YMMV, but this new X3 has things my previous SUV did not have that could potentially costs thousands of dollars to fix should anything go wrong after 4 years, and I don't want to risk it. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of the components of the Driving Assistance Plus, 12.3" all digital display cluster, navigation system, HK audio system, telematics, etc. And, to be honest, I'm not completely sold on BMW reliability past 4 years yet, so I feel like we're taking a risk.
Appreciate 0