12-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
When I was in to buy a Z4 a few years back, the sell on the extended warranty was really crazy. The "business manager" started telling me how unreliable the convertibles were and how expensive the parts were.

I walked. Had a call from the GM of the dealership. He assured me that it was not necessary. 13 years later the top still works. I have had a valve cover gasket replaced, a water pump and a battery, all after the extended warranty would have expired. My wife's E39 had a coil spring replaced, a clutch, an alternator and a battery. That was over 12 years of use.

My point is that the extended warranty in Canada is useful is you are buying and plan to resell in 3 or 4 years. It is a selling point at resell. If you are meticulous in maintaining your can and plan to keep it a long time, it does not make sense. If you are planning to lease and let it go when the real X3M comes out or the EV version, then save your money.
Depends on luck and maintenance I suppose.

I had one of the 1st E90 335i that I bought new that had little issues/recalls during warranty and then ran great.

Then I had an F10 535 that I bought 1 year old, maintained religiously and after less then 50,000 kms the dealer discovered some scratches on the cam shaft and cam shaft bearings (as a result of investigation of some persistent error codes).
As the car was out of warranty by a year, even though the mileage was low, the fix was either new head or new motor. Either option about $17,000.
So I'm not buying used off lease anymore, thank you very much.
Appreciate 0