01-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #57
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaveyy View Post
I couldn't see myself spending over $300 on a watch ever, but I guess everyone has their own hobbies/tastes. I'll stick to the Watch Station store across from my house who constantly has 60% off sales on poor guy waches that look really good.
Thats because it's not what you are into. There are two kinds of people that spend absurd amounts of money on a watch (okay, maybe three).

1. The self-made business owner who wears a Rolex to work just because it's the thing to do, and he can afford it.

2. The hard working middle class man who has an interest in horology and fine time pieces and collects nice watches as a hobby.

3. The self absorbed asshole who flaunts a Rolex because he thinks he is cool.

4. (okay, maybe four) The hard working middle class man who saved a little bit, and bought himself something nice so that he had something to show for a personal achievement, or a goal he met in life.

I personally fall in a little bit of 2 and 4. That being said, I am sure there is something you spend asinine amounts of money on that I would find absurd. I don't understand why my wife (or any other female) will spend $350 on a purse at the drop of a hat.

That said, my first Rolex I spent 35% of my household (wife and mine income combined) monthly income on (current income that is, at the time, it was more like 60%). I have an Omega that I spent 21% of my income on, and I just bought my wife her first Rolex for Christmas (@ 25% of our monthly income). I don't think there is really a written rule with watches like there is with cars or houses. If you want to splurge and can afford it without going into debt, why not spend the money? Life is too short not to enjoy the finer things.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 1