View Single Post
      05-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #63
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
I've been wearing my Rolex Expy II for about a year and a half. You know how many people have noticed it is a Rolex? Zero (or if they did, they didn't say anything). You know how many people have even noticed my watch and cared enough about it to make conversation involving me disclosing it is a Rolex? One (a guy who I worked with that was into watches) and he originally thought it was a Tag.

I've been wearing my Omega Speedmaster for about 6 months. Again, you know how many people have noticed it is a $4000.00 watch? Zero. In all my time owning my Rolex, you know how many people I have seen wearing a Rolex besides me? Three. Two of them were doctors that were treating me or my wife, and yes, I do pay attention to the watches people wear because I am interested in nice watches.

The point is, who cares? The average person doesn't care enough to notice, or even try to see what kind of watch you are wearing. You can't tell without getting a foot away from the watch and looking at it for a few seconds to read the name anyways, and that just won't happen often. If someone knows enough about watches to notice you are wearing a Rolex just by looking at it as you wave your hands around in front of them, chances are they are "watch people" themselves and are likely more "okay" with your lavish, expensive and self-indulgent choice in timepiece.
Exactly this for me too. I had a brand new GMT II...1 person noticed it in the 4 years I had it...same deal with my Omega Seamster Chrono. Most people just aren't into watches.

Funny thing...my boss wears an AP as one of a few high-end watches join his rotation. I noticed it and let him know it was nice. I guarantee no one ever mentioned it before....most of the very high end watches aren't on peoples radar...

BTW, the quality of the Rolex vs. Omega was night and day. Rolex fit and wore so much better than my Omega. You can tell the difference...Toyota to Lexus, IMO.
Appreciate 0