View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #28
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Some of you guys are right, snow tires are a complete waste of money for the majority of the time! You usually end up with some fugly winter rims and a car that handles like it's driving on jello. Most of the time the roads are clear, and it doesn't matter whether you're on all season's, winters, or even summers.

BUT there are a handful of days when winter tires make the difference between driving safely and hanging on for your life. Or maybe a day that happens once in 5 or 10 years when the highway is completely covered in black ice, cars are skidding left and right, and you feel like you have suction cups stuck to your tires. This exact scenario happened to me several years ago. I can not recommend winter tires strongly enough, not to mention that my M3 on Blizzaks can drive up an unplowed hill while plowing snow with my undercarriage. Now that is very significant. I don't buy winter tires for the 99% of the driving I do, I buy them for the 1% of time when the likelihood of destroying my 50k+ car is greatest.
Appreciate 0