View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I agree with those who recommend winter tires. You never know when you'll need the extra margin of stopping or steering ability - and the difference between all-season and winter tires is significant. With any AWD vehicle, getting started isn't the issue. How many SUVs have you seen in a ditch during a snowstorm? I've seen many. I think they ended up there because they were able to get going but didn't think about how they were going to steer or stop. People who drive in snow or freezing weather on a regular basis are making a good investment in their own (and their loved ones') safety when they buy winter tires.
Agree that if you're always in snow, its a good investment. I disagree about the large improvement. All-season vs Winters don't provide a huge amount of difference although of course winters are favorable in harsh winter climates (obviously).

Driving into ski resorts is what I do 10-12 times a year. Near whiteout conditions most of the time with steep inclines and windy roads. I do them on all-seasons on my xDrive equipped cars. I've done them in Quattro equipped cars. I've done them on RENTAL cars such as a Jeep Liberty with all-seasons.

Works every single time and I don't feel out of control at all. But again, like you stated, its personal preference. Winters will perform better. Period. Just like summers perform better on dry warm climates. All seasons are a compromise but FAR from incapable.
2005 330i SG PP CW
Appreciate 0