08-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Ok, I'll give this a go!

There's kind of a mental conversation that takes place when you see something with a strong presence or character. Phytonic Blue says, "look at me, aren't I impressive", I reply "wow, yes you are". Is this is conversation I want everyday? Some days I'll say "please, can you tone it down today, I don't want this conversation". If you keep you car for 2 years then change, it's a more viable situation. I want my next car for 5 to 10 years.

Another aspect is context. In a very modern environment such strong colours can work well. Also in a bright, maybe even desert location. I live in an English conservation area with UK weather...it's 1900s housing and very leafy, Phytonic Blue is not subtle and would struggle to gel with the surroundings.

The colours which endure in the BMW range are white, grey, black, sliver others get rotated, Phy will likely be replaced by another strong colour when the LCI comes out.
Thank you for continuing to have this conversation! I follow your logic, although, viscerally, I do not share these feelings. When I first saw Valencia Orange, I knew it was a must-have for me. Five years later, seeing that color burst to life in the sunshine remains like my eyes having a new piece of candy each day. I don't take it as any kind of boasting sense of self-importance or being impressive. It just seems to stimulate the retinal cones in the same pleasurable way a piece of chocolate does the taste buds. Never grow tired of that! To torture the analogy further, for me, the non-color colors are experienced as "vanilla", a flavor that I have sometimes thought should be illegal for lack of substance. . I wound up with a AW 3GT due to lack of time to order and wanting maximum heat rejection in an area where we see triple-digit temperatures F in the Summertime.

Good to know that you are finding enough choices to get what you want. I am hoping by the time I order for next year (X3e), we see some more bolder choices. I'll take a bit more heat to have some more "eye candy".

BTW, regarding the LCI, here is the BMW long range plan as reported in the industry trade paper. The headings are in calendar years.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50