Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M140iGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
Thanks. So loading the .evo file for my case sounds like I will have no problems with updates because it's not adding any FSC codes and the whole ECU would be replaced, right? I would likely lose carplay fullscreen if this happened I suspect and would need to get another update.
I'm told that's the case. The people selling these solutions will never tell you everything because if they did we could probably do these things ourselves without them.

An update would wipe out full screen CarPlay but not CarPlay itself since that's provisioned from BMW. You would just be able to re-enable full screen using the same method and file that they gave you. This is assuming BMW don't change anything to prevent this working in future updates. It's a constant game of cat and mouse.
Thanks. Yeah I get that they won't want to give me details which is why I suspect I'm going to try and have to reverse engineer this myself or just blind trust it which bugs me. In theory I should be able to diff the changed file against my original ECU bin file but the size difference of the evo file is about 10x when compared to my initial ECU bin. I suspect there is data wrapped into the .evo file that their windows based program decrypts and interprets. Will spend a couple days on it this weekend and see how far I can get. Sites with information on binary files for EVO/NBT iDrive also seem pretty limited which is making this even harder. I might look at Subaru or some other brands to get the concepts since I expect it's not that much different. Know any good sites that may have some info on this?
I should add that the fact that the .evo file is 10x+ larger than the original ECU binary is the bit that bugs me the most. If it was a simple .ini file change I would expect the size to be almost comparable to the original file. I have no idea what code is taking up that extra 1.2MB. What is being loaded onto my idrive??
Appreciate 3