View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #86
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I already have carplay so it's just a matter of fullscreen. I started getting curious how this works when I saw the ECU binary file I exported was around 98k and the .evo file I got back from fscmaps.com after sending them my ECU was about 1.3M. They have a custom application that is used to connect to the car and load the binary back called FemTOEVO. I also noticed that it had my VIN number and serial number in a header file which I assume is used either as a crypto key or some kind of checksum. I'd like to know what changes are being made to my car over just blindly loading another binary file (probably slightly too paranoid). Fscmaps does provide very good service and they seem really knowledgable. When I asked about updates they said it was completely fine to update but I'm not sure if it would persist the update.

When the update happens from BMW what is actually happening? Does it replace all of the firmware and operating system container with a new one? Where are the FSC codes stored if they persist an update?

How many people here have used fscmaps.com? Just curious.
The software update flashes the ECU completely. The FSC codes are stored in eeprom so aren't touched when you flash an ECU. FSCs that were there before will still be there after the update.

Last edited by i4M50Guy; 07-12-2019 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Clarification on FSC storage location
Appreciate 0