View Single Post
      09-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #20
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
As I never tried, but assume you have - is it more fun to drive the X3M or SUV in general on a track versus something like a dedicated sports car such as anything from BRZ to Caymant to Radical?

I am trying to understand what is the point in general, as my assumption is any sports car will run rings around it and it will be more fun - but may be I am wrong? Is it actually more fun to drive a massive car with heavy weight and higher center of gravity at speed, through corners etc?
With the same reasonably skilled driver, a sports car with less power will turn faster lap times than one of these SUVs. There always will be exceptions, such as if comparing very low power cars on tracks with long straights, and if the driver's skill is restricted to mashing the accelerator to the floor. (A Radical will demolish not just any SUV, but the Caymans and BRZs you mention.)

What is more fun is, I suppose, in the eye of the beholder. Having driven on track everything from high-HP SUVs and sedans to fully caged race cars, I think the latter are more fun because they allow the driver to improve his skills more. Also, having tracked and raced properly prepared cars with real safety gear, it is not nearly as fun blasting at over 160 mph into a hard braking zone with nothing but a helmet and a three-point seat belt. For anyone planning to make track excursions a regular occurrence, I strongly urge acquiring a dedicated track car. In addition to improving skill, the safety gear is absolutely critical and there simply is not a viable street-track car compromise with adequate protection (especially given how capable and powerful current models are). In addition, the cost of consumables (tires, brakes, etc.) is much less in a car that weighs less than 3,000 lbs instead of 4,500-6,000, and one in which the suspension can be dialed in with significant negative camber.
Appreciate 0