View Single Post
      08-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Reading between the lines of the Autocar review I get the feeling the "less mechanically refined" X3 is hampered by poor sound insulation some examples suffer from and because the X3 is relatively light it can feel a little flimsy vs the Q5. Quite how Autocar find the Evoque is the best option is another matter.....

Quoting:
The SQ5’s ride, too, leaves a little to be desired. The car’s chassis isolates you from noise well enough and reins in roll quite well. The ride quickly becomes restless as the road’s surface begins to rise and fall, though, as those new dampers attempt — and often fail — to keep vertical body movements in check with any subtlety.

While a BMW X3 xDrive35d is a less mechanically refined machine than this, it’s also a much more compelling one through a fast bend. And a Range Rover Evoque SD4 may not be able to compete on sheer urge, but its blend of compliance, responsiveness and control is also much more impressive.

So should you buy one? Well, it depends if you’re really looking for a driver’s car — because, according to Audi’s own figures, most Q5 owners aren’t.

.....snip.....

But those looking for a really great-handling SUV should probably either stick with plan A — buy a Range Rover Evoque — or gamble on plan B, which is to wait for Audi’s Q3 RS. Which, incidentally, is being developed by Quattro GmbH. ‘Nuff said.

Last edited by clivem2; 08-07-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0